Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched the forum and didn't find what I was looking for. I just purchased a Garmin Zumo XT and plan on wiring it to the stock GPS Plug. Do I need to buy the "mating" plug (to plug into what Can Am gives us)? I'd rather plug in than "positap" into it.

Also, has anyone used the Robert Becker Design (Robert Becker Design & Kradellock) locking mount? How secure is it (for daytime parking)?

Thanks much,

David

UPDATE Got an adapter from Lamonster Garage for the GPS plug which made wiring super easy. Received the Kradellock and Kapplock from Robert Becker Design and found them easy to use and very well made. A great investment. And great service from both. When I had questions on the GPS locks and send an email, I got a prompt return call. Tim from Lamonster helped me get the right part and called me as well. Thanks to both!

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
What year and model do you have ?
I do not believe that the '20/'21 models have any "stock" GPS wiring.
If you already have a model with the GPS mount, you would be MUCH better off getting a Garmin that fits the mount so that it will integrate with the builtin audio system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year and model do you have ?
I do not believe that the '20/'21 models have any "stock" GPS wiring.
If you already have a model with the GPS mount, you would be MUCH better off getting a Garmin that fits the mount so that it will integrate with the builtin audio system.
I have a 2021 RT Limited. I haven’t taken the bike apart yet – but the OEM GPS plug was reported to be on the right side plugged into a dummy plug. With panels off the right side it is behind the frunk about 6". I was looking for a mate to that plug to avoid cutting it off or "posi-tapping": into it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you get this figured out? I am about to install a garmin gps and was just going to tap into the same wires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is a late production 21, so my wires are fine - be sure to check polarity. Lamonster sells an adapter or you could just posi-tap into it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just wired my Garmin Zumo into the GPS plug on the right side of my 2021 RT Limited. Cut off the fittings and used small wire nuts to make the connections. My biggest issue was getting up the nerve to remove the body panels which actually turned out to be quite easy. This video on side panel removal was a big help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts