Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone noticed a whirring noise, speed related it seems, on the 2020 RT Limited? May be motor or transmission, unsure. Local tech at dealer "all of them do that". Possible solution he said would putting on a tension belt idler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got mine 2 days ago, yep got the whurrrr sound you have. Was told that the transmission has straight cut gears. Once you get to 500 miles or so, it will seat, and the noise will go away... I had my dealer send a tech message to bpr, hope to hear something in a few days

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 1000 miles on my 2020 RTL and the whining hasn't gone away. My dealer can't seem to solve it. I hope you have better luck than me!

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
I have 1000 miles on my 2020 RTL and the whining hasn't gone away. My dealer can't seem to solve it. I hope you have better luck than me!
You really need to GIVE UP and learn to live with it.

EVERY metric bike I have ever owned had a low whine coming from the transmission due to the "constant mesh" transmission and there is no "fix".
It might get a little less noticeable after your first oil change.

I don't really hear it on my '17 RT.....but I attribute that to my failing hearing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't speak for the others on this forum, but the whining on my RT is not low. In fact, it's a very loud and extremely irritating high pitched sound that drowns out the sound of the engine, music, your thoughts between 45 and 60 (cruising speed). So, I won't be learning to live with it or give up anytime soon. Not at this price point! The Service Manager rode my RT and said "Wow that's loud, I've never heard that before". Unfortunately, Can Am was less than helpful in diagnosing the problem. The bike is scheduled for an extended diagnostic session at the end of the month. Stay tuned.

Gofastman1 - Really interested in the response you get from Can Am Techs. Please let us know. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
In fact, it's a very loud and extremely irritating high pitched sound that drowns out the sound of the engine, music, your thoughts between 45 and 60 (cruising speed).
OK, so many things are a matter if degrees.
A slight whine is normal.
What you describe certainly is NOT.

Does it do it at that speed range no matter what gear you are in ? Should be able to do 50 in at least 3 gears.
Have you considered that it might be related to belt vibration ?
Or a dragging brake ??

Sometimes getting them to admit that there IS a problem is half the battle and it seems you are past that part.
Please let us know how this turns out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trans noise

My 2015 F3S with 6,000 miles has a belt tensioner and I still get a whirling noise in 5th gear that goes away at higher rpm's. No noise in 6th gear. Might wanna try ear plugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2015 F3S with 6,000 miles has a belt tensioner and I still get a whirling noise in 5th gear that goes away at higher rpm's. No noise in 6th gear. Might wanna try ear plugs.
I have a 2019 RT Limited and no whinning noises. Quiet as a mouse, so unless they changed something other than body design for 2020 I can't imagine it is normal. This is my 5th CanAm only problem I ever had was a vibration between 68 and 72 mph and a belt tensioner took that away, but it was not a whinning noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone noticed a whirring noise, speed related it seems, on the 2020 RT Limited? May be motor or transmission, unsure. Local tech at dealer "all of them do that". Possible solution he said would putting on a tension belt idler.
I picked mine up yesterday and was blown away/annoyed by the whine. It's not just a quiet mechanical whirring, it's loud, like the whining sound coming off the wheels of a jacked-up pickup with knobby tires. It changes with speed but not with rpms, which implies that it is generated downstream from the motor/input end of the transmission. Looking forward to hearing what others find out - if my hearing isn't permanently damaged. :tango_face_sad:

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
Maybe those newly re-designed Kenda tires aren't so good after all.

I strongly encourage you to complain to your dealer......and then to BRP if necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2016 RT had the same issue and now my 2020 F3-T does too. It happens between 20-25 and again while cruising between 45-51. I asked a mechanic when I had the RT and he told me it was belt harmonics. I asked about putting a belt tensioner on to increase the tightness of the belt. He said that would be fine if I wanted to replace the rather expensive belt sooner than expected but also didn't think it would help so I learned to "live with it." Now that I traded it in and bought the F3 to get a little more sporty the same problem is here. The current mechanic said he'd look into it and do some research. I'll get back with him in a couple of weeks. But yeah, it's LOUD and very annoying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I spoke with BRP today. I was told they have recently changed the classification of this whining issue from normal to ABNORMAL. Their Roadster team is working to diagnose the issue. We'll see? At least they are acknowledging there is a problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Prior I had a 2015 that at about 73-75 mph there was a different noise & many suggested to get a belt tensioner but I never did. Interesting to not that a fellow rider friend turned in his BMW 1600GTL ( as I did in 2015) for a 2021 RTL & complaining about the whine noise at about 50 mph, at the time I was still riding my 2015 & told him no noise at 50 but some at 73mph. Then when I got my 2021 I experienced the same whine noise at about 50mph but not at 73-75mph. I think it's wind noise due to it's new front end design but that's just a hunch I'm not an aerodynamics engineer...lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem with the high pitched noise! I have a 2017 RT that I bought used from a neighbor who had added a top case and custom seat, outfitted just like a limited, that machine was quiet with no whirling, whining noise, so I thought that I'd upgrade to a 2020 RT, didn't drive it until I took possession, (1st mistake). On the drive home, I noticed the same high pitch noise that everyone here is talking about. I turned around, went back, the service guy took it out and said he couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. With inventory so low, they didn't have any other models to drive, so I took it home and proceeded to go to every dealer I could find in a 100 mile radius, drove everything that was in stock.21
F3T gave the same noise, 2021 RT same thing, 2021 RT limited, no noise, of course it was the owners bike and he didn't have one to sell, so I'm stuck with my whining RT until July when they get a limited in stock. Is it just possible that the top case deflects the wind in a way that you don't here that awful, annoying, headache inducing whine?? My dealer offered to pull a top case off of anther bike and put it on mine and let me test drive it, but they don't have any stock to pull it from yet, it's just an idea, I'm pretty new to riding, but I certainly know that a noise this loud can't be right, It takes all the fun out of being out on the road. I want to enjoy the ride, not dread it!!

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
Many bikes have a transmission whine.
While you are waiting for more help from your dealer, I suggest that you stop by an independent shop and pay them a few bucks to give you an opinion. They probably will do it for free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this a transmission noise or a toothed belt noise, Wet the drive belt down and take a test drive, could be tension, alignment or bad belt or drive, driven sprockets

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I've been working the Whining problem on my 2020RT limited for over a year now. After multiple shop visits and plenty of discussions with BRP, it is now solved. BRP changed the designation of the problem from Normal to Abnormal in 2020 and identified that the issue was with the drive pulley. Apparently, the pitch and depth of the teeth was the culprit. They re-designed the pulley for the 2021 models and the part became available a couple of months ago. The General Manager at my local shop (who was a great advocate with BRP for me!) recognized last year that this is a real issue and not something to be brushed off as "no big deal" or those that said "Learn to live with it". He ordered the pulley and it was replaced. Unfortunately, the whining was still present. Then BRP had the shop test drive my RT and a new 2021 to compare the sound. The GM and Tech said the difference was obvious. They reported back to BRP and they approved swapping the drive pulley and the belt from the quiet 2021. The WHINING is GONE!!!!!! The key was to change to the re-designed pulley and change the belt because the old belt was worn in to the old pulley's tooth pitch design. I hope this helps anyone dealing with this frustrating issue on a 2020.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts