Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I get up to highway speeds ..... 117 or above the engine will intermittently kick into a rough sounding and feel. If I adjust the throttle a little it goes away and the engine levels out and is smooth. It however will come as I said intermittently. Is this normal.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
I would certainly think so.
Sounds like a rev limiter to me.
What RPM is it turning at 117 MPH ??
Or is that 117 KPH ??

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
That's about the speed where some owners notice a belt vibration.
If it won't go away with a belt tension adjustment, you might need a belt vibration damper.
Or you can just avoid that exact speed where it occurs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same thing happen around 75-80 Mph it's the belt vibration that causes the noise. It's not a problem and will not hurt the machine. Sometimes I just speed up and it goes away other times I slow down 2 or 3 mph and it stops.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It won't hurt the bike but it is very annoying. I had a tensioner put on but that was of no help. I had the front end rebuilt and still it was there. What I found was running the front tires with 20 pounds of air helped. I believe it's in the tires. They are not made very well so its my opinion that is the problem. I have a 2016 RTS with 45000 miles on it. The bike is very well maintained but the problem is still there.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
And you have not changed the tires.......why exactly ??
If you still have the stock Kenda's, you should love the difference if you change to a different brand.
OH......and don't ignore the rear tire as a possible cause.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Do a search on here for "tires". You will get 12 pages of hits.

Since I got mine I have seen recommendations for others that might be a bit better.

Basically any other brand that is the right size......and aren't "specialty" tires, like for off-road or racing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Belt tensioner did it for me

I had this issue in the first 500 miles on my '19 RT Limited. Added the belt tensioner from Lamonster garage and don't have the issue anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this issue in the first 500 miles on my '19 RT Limited. Added the belt tensioner from Lamonster garage and don't have the issue anymore.
I had the same issue with my 2019 RTL when running 70-75mph. Lamonster belt dampener helped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue. 2019 RTL. In 5th gear at 66-69mph and in 6th gear at 76-83mph. Dealer says they think that’s normal. I said BS. It used to only do it in 6th. I have 7,100 miles on my bike and just started doing it in 5th. Dealer already BS’d me 3 times about an oil leak saying it was just some protective coating and something about the cat. Pulled up at a light and smoke billowed up. Miraculously they figured out that the oil pan bolts were loose. They decided to just tighten them. Still leaking! My bikes been in the shop since Thursday at 9am.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
My bikes been in the shop since Thursday at 9am.
You NEED to find a different dealer.

Belt vibration really is not a "problem" that needs to be fixed.

If it bothers you, don't ride in those speed ranges.
If it REALLY bothers you, get a belt tensioner.

But it does NOT indicate that something is wrong that can be fixed in any other way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You NEED to find a different dealer.

Belt vibration really is not a "problem" that needs to be fixed.

If it bothers you, don't ride in those speed ranges.
If it REALLY bothers you, get a belt tensioner.

But it does NOT indicate that something is wrong that can be fixed in any other way.
Thank you. That’s all I needed to hear was that it’s normal. No back peddling, just a refreshing honest answer!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts