Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought two 2018 RT's new from dealer. Rode them both for many miles with no issues except for my wife's. The Radio will just stop working along with the CB, two different dealers and neither has been able to recreate or figure out why this happens. Sometimes it's just fine other times it occurs multiple times. If she stops, turns the bike off and restarts things normally come right back until it happens again. The other night she hit the PTT to ask me a question and the radio and CB stopped working. Anyone had similar issues or ideas what it could be.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,485 Posts
The Radio will just stop working along with the CB,
Are you sure that they are '18 models ?
I think that '17 was the last year for the integrated audio system with a factory CB ?

My '17 just did that last week......kind of.
The CB quit, transmit and receive. Don't remember about the radio but I think it still worked.
When I took my helmet off at home, there was an abnormal squealing noise too.
The next day, all is fine again.......so far.
I think I also detected a slight "hot rubber or plastic" smell.

It has been HOT here; close to 100F reported. Higher than that on the road.
I suspect that the CB module, which is mounted below the seat overheated.
Maybe in part due to modified lower air deflectors that I put on years ago.

Waiting to see what happens next.
Have adjusted the air deflectors to "pull" more air out of the upper side vents.

Note: Previously when that happened it was caused by a headset connection coming loose.
The one on the side of the helmet is hard to remember.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did a test ride today.
No funny noises and radio worked fine.
Will test the CB on a longer ride tomorrow.
A lot of heat comes out those upper side vents.......so I may have caused my own problem.
Next time we ride we are going to trade, that eliminates her helmet and gives me a chance to see if it will fail for me. Same thing with her riding mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts