Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CanAm Spyder RT-SE6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

While going to the dealer to have oil change done, my Spyder decides I'm going to slow and speeds up on its own. Cruise was on. Turn Cruise off. Seems to have fixed the problem. Twenty miles later, Spyder increases while I am in control of the throttle. No amount of trying to power down manually, down shifting (RPMs were whining) and stepping down on the brake in a pumping motion did anything to stop the increase and put me back in control. I'm on the Interstate and a bit worried here. So, I pull over to the shoulder. Husband is behind me on his Spyder. Doing the pumping of the brakes and having shifted down (even though it only slightly ineffective) AND trying to lower speed with the throttle (sparatic results) I waited until I felt I was slow enough to use the Emergency Stop. Don't remember the speed at that moment. Things were just not flying by me. I pressed the Emergency Stop button and boy, oh boy, it just outright stopped right there on the proverbial dime. Yes, I left my seat, BUT I didn't hit the windshield. Came close, but didn't hit it.

Long story short, I cautiously made it to the dealer with only one minor desire of Spyder to do it's own thing. Got it in control and arrived at dearler's safely.

That was about a month ago. They are still trying to find the problem. Changed throttle didn't do it. The mechanic is talking with CanAm to figure it out. To say the least, I am a bit worried. Will they find the problem? Will I have to get a major loan to pay for it? All sorts of concerns are going on in my mind. Plus, I'm having ride behind my husband. I love him, but I want my bike back!

Any thoughts out there?

·
Super Moderator
843 Posts
Any thoughts out there?
Sorry for your problem. But glad that you survived.

Like a LOT of questions that get asked on the net, you can't find the answer to EVERYTHING by asking in a forum.
I don't remember anyone else reporting that kind of a problem.

My only suggestion is that you have a short discussion with the shop and clarify that you will NOT be paying for new parts that do NOT solve the problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 CanAm Spyder RT-SE6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Like a LOT of questions that get asked on the net, you can't find the answer to EVERYTHING by asking in a forum.

My only suggestion is that you have a short discussion with the shop and clarify that you will NOT be paying for new parts that do NOT solve the problem.

Good luck.
Thank you. I had not thought about simply putting the question out there on the search site. So, I will give it a try. I will let everyone know about the end result.

·
Registered
2015 CanAm Spyder RT-SE6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

While going to the dealer to have oil change done, my Spyder decides I'm going to slow and speeds up on its own. Cruise was on. Turn Cruise off. Seems to have fixed the problem. Twenty miles later, Spyder increases while I am in control of the throttle. No amount of trying to power down manually, down shifting (RPMs were whining) and stepping down on the brake in a pumping motion did anything to stop the increase and put me back in control. I'm on the Interstate and a bit worried here. So, I pull over to the shoulder. Husband is behind me on his Spyder. Doing the pumping of the brakes and having shifted down (even though it only slightly ineffective) AND trying to lower speed with the throttle (sparatic results) I waited until I felt I was slow enough to use the Emergency Stop. Don't remember the speed at that moment. Things were just not flying by me. I pressed the Emergency Stop button and boy, oh boy, it just outright stopped right there on the proverbial dime. Yes, I left my seat, BUT I didn't hit the windshield. Came close, but didn't hit it.

Long story short, I cautiously made it to the dealer with only one minor desire of Spyder to do it's own thing. Got it in control and arrived at dearler's safely.

That was about a month ago. They are still trying to find the problem. Changed throttle didn't do it. The mechanic is talking with CanAm to figure it out. To say the least, I am a bit worried. Will they find the problem? Will I have to get a major loan to pay for it? All sorts of concerns are going on in my mind. Plus, I'm having ride behind my husband. I love him, but I want my bike back!

Any thoughts out there?
Easy Rider, I misread the last part of your response. And I did contact the shop today. I let the shop know that I had taught soldiers how to repair meteorological equipment way-back-when and have "some understanding of electronics". After reading other RT owners' situations, I suggested (which I'm sure he had already done so, but incase he hadn't) checking for loose connections in the wiring harness and the ground. Also the battery's connection. I'm cringing every time I think about the labor cost o_O I am also looking for the technical manual for my own personal use. Even though I'm in my 70s, I feel I should do more work myself on my Spyder.

·
Super Moderator
843 Posts
I let the shop know that I had taught soldiers how to repair meteorological equipment way-back-when and have "some understanding of electronics".
Even though I'm in my 70s, I feel I should do more work myself on my Spyder.
It is not a bad idea to inquire if the most basic things have been checked because sometimes they aren't.

But there is no need to relate your background and expertise, unless and until they try to give you some totally BS story.

I feel I should be able to "trust" the people who are supposedly trained to do the work to actually DO it.

My background in electronics is extensive but I am trying to do less of my own work at the same age as you, not more.
I feel I've earned it.
The problem is finding someone competent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Any thoughts out there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
suez1040
I would really like to talk to you some more. I had the same thing happen to me rencently on my new 2019 F3T. I wasn’t as lucky, mine did this right into a concrete wall. I have a broken Tibia and my bike is destroyed.
please contact me I’ve have been pouring over forums for the past 2 weeks while sitting here with my leg propped up. [email protected]
melinda
Alberta Canada

·
Registered
4 Posts

Good luck.

the bike is totaled there’s no repairing it. It with insurance. I’m just looking for someone else that has had this issue as it’s a hard thing to prove. Here in Alberta Canada because there was not another vehicle involved, I’m covered for the replacement of my bike, my medical bills, lost work but unless my insurance company goes after Can Am I’m SOL for any injury compensation unless I pursue Can Am. I’m just looking for stories of same or similar occurrences so the my insurance company goes to bat for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the bike is totaled there’s no repairing it. It with insurance. I’m just looking for someone else that has had this issue as it’s a hard thing to prove. Here in Alberta Canada because there was not another vehicle involved, I’m covered for the replacement of my bike, my medical bills, lost work but unless my insurance company goes after Can Am I’m SOL for any injury compensation unless I pursue Can Am. I’m just looking for stories of same or similar occurrences so the my insurance company goes to bat for me.
This is my second Spyder, I had an RTS for 6 years never had an issue. So it’s not that I’m a new rider unfamiliar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts