Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Spyder, named Itzey, I also bought the luggage to go with - soft bags for the side, a soft bag for the tail storage and it came with the suitcase luggage for the forward storage. The suitcase handle broke last summer while I was touring and is a real hassle to try to get out etc.

I contacted BRP and they basically said, so sad, too bad. So I need to get a replacement. Can anyone suggest a aftermarket one? Thanks in advance

Richard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you thought about repairing it? At fabric stores you could get a piece of carrying strap and fold the end over to create the same kind of end you have then overlap the plastic you're awesome small holes in it and then hand saw it with a heavy thread like for upholstery.

$50 Amazon Comie Motorcycle Tour Tail Box Trunk Luggage Top Lock Storage Carrier Case w/soft backrest&handle -

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you thought about repairing it? At fabric stores you could get a piece of carrying strap and fold the end over to create the same kind of end you have then overlap the plastic you're awesome small holes in it and then hand saw it with a heavy thread like for upholstery.

$50 Amazon Comie Motorcycle Tour Tail Box Trunk Luggage Top Lock Storage Carrier Case w/soft backrest&handle -
thanks for the reply. I am planning on taking it to a luggage repair shop to see if they can do something for me.

will check out the link. May end up just using a soft sided duffel bag.

·
Super Moderator
809 Posts
May end up just using a soft sided duffel bag.
That would be a real shame.
It still is a really good solid piece of luggage.
If fixing the original strap fails, several different kinds of handles could be attached to the top instead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be a real shame.
It still is a really good solid piece of luggage.
If fixing the original strap fails, several different kinds of handles could be attached to the top instead.
yea I really like it. Served me well. Not enough to cover the initial cost however. It fits well in the aft trunk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whops sorry new to forum and previous reply went out before I was done.
the suitcase is great. Served me well and fits great. However it hasn’t served me well enough I am willing to say it’s justified the cost yet. It fits great in the front luggage compartment and as such the handle definitely needs to be strong to get it out. Will figure out something, but was hoping Can-Am would be willing to help, which they aren’t.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks for the reply. I am planning on taking it to a luggage repair shop to see if they can do something for me.

will check out the link. May end up just using a soft sided duffel bag.
Hard bags are nice as things stay dry and also can't tell when they're full and when they're empty unlike soft bags the luggage repair shop should be able to fixi it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hard bags are nice as things stay dry and also can't tell when they're full and when they're empty unlike soft bags the luggage repair shop should be able to fixi it.
This one is nice. With the trunk being pretty much waterproof already, that extra level of protection is nice. And with it being hard luggage, if you can close it, it will fit in the trunk! 😂👍

·
Super Moderator
809 Posts
Will figure out something, but was hoping Can-Am would be willing to help, which they aren’t.
My idea: Visit the hardware store and buy a "drawer pull" handle.
Attach it to the top of the case, in place of the strap.
A drill would be required......and maybe some shorter screws and a washer under each.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My idea: Visit the hardware store and buy a "drawer pull" handle.
Attach it to the top of the case, in place of the strap.
A drill would be required......and maybe some shorter screws and a washer under each.
that’s a good idea! Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I bought my Spyder, named Itzey, I also bought the luggage to go with - soft bags for the side, a soft bag for the tail storage and it came with the suitcase luggage for the forward storage. The suitcase handle broke last summer while I was touring and is a real hassle to try to get out etc.

I contacted BRP and they basically said, so sad, too bad. So I need to get a replacement. Can anyone suggest a aftermarket one? Thanks in advance

Richard
The same happened to me, on my 2015 RTL it seemed like the handle disintegrated. It fits my 2021, although it's tricky getting it out w/o the handle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts