Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Spyder RT Limited SE 6 Silver matte 2012 Spyder RT Limited SE5 Bronze Lava Metallic.
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started throwing this code today. Cam Sensor? Fuses ok. Check engine light, limp home mode would show on screen then go away. Yet bike operated normally. Any info would be helpful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
P0340 ECM Error on camshaft
position sensor signal
Disconnected sensor
Blown fuse
Defective CAPS,
damaged circuit wires,
damaged connector or
damaged ECM output pins.
Trigger wheel missing
or in incorrect position
on intake camshaft
Make sure sensor
connector is fully inserted.
Measure voltage between
harness connector CAPS-3
and ground (expected
value: 11 to 13 volts).
Measure resistance from
connector: ECMA-E2 to CAPS-
(expected value: < 2 ohms).
Measure resistance from
connector: ECMA-D4 to CAPS-
(expected value: < 2 ohms)

·
Registered
2014 Spyder RT Limited SE 6 Silver matte 2012 Spyder RT Limited SE5 Bronze Lava Metallic.
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that is what my BUDS tells me. Thanks. Just wondering if anyone else encountered this and if there was a fix other than replacing the sensor. Since it is an emissions sensor, what effect does it have? Even with the check engine light showing, the bike performance did not change on the way home. limp mode flashed a few times but never activated. Parts are difficult to get here in Mexico. what happens if I just disconnect it? I have disconnected emissions sensors on my sports cars with no ill effects. I may go for a ride to test this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will probably pull some panels and just see if maybe the wiring connector came loose Or if there is a damaged wire. Seems odd that this type of sensor would fail on its own.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,253 Posts
I will probably pull some panels and just see if maybe the wiring connector came loose Or if there is a damaged wire. Seems odd that this type of sensor would fail on its own.
What do you think is "odd" about it ?
It has not completely failed because the engine will not run without a cam position sensor.
I had mine fail when my '17 was still under warranty.
It's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No moving parts so you expect it to work forever. 😇
I’ll order the part and swap it out. Thanks for your advice As I learn more about the inner workings of my bike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The CAPS is a Hall Effect sensor often used in this application. As a semiconductor device it is reliable but somewhat susceptible to heat and voltage spikes. A number of devices sharing the bias power circuit (LFB F8) have protective diodes to control voltage spikes. It's possible there was a voltage spike that got by them. I suggest you perform the tests in the service manual to see if there might have been an external cause or just fate for your CAPS failure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The CAPS is a Hall Effect sensor often used in this application. As a semiconductor device it is reliable but somewhat susceptible to heat and voltage spikes. A number of devices sharing the bias power circuit (LFB F8) have protective diodes to control voltage spikes. It's possible there was a voltage spike that got by them. I suggest you perform the tests in the service manual to see if there might have been an external cause or just fate for your CAPS failure.
Thanks. Hopefully just the sensor failed on its own and I’ll just swap it out. I’ll try the tests just to be sure I don’t have another problem adding to this. Tracking these things can be problematic as I am sure you know. Appreciate the comments. 🤗

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,253 Posts
The simple fact that it seems to run normally might mean that it was just a "glitch" and nor a hard failure.
IF......you are going to have to pay for a fix, it might be a good idea to just get the code cleared and see if it comes back again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don’t think so. Never had a fuel problem and none of my friends have encountered this on any type of vehicle. I have ordered the part and will swap it out next week (hopefully it will arrive by then) after I run the diagnostics on the system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, part arrived and I swapped it out. Cleared the active code in BUDS and all seems to be working fine. Going to borrow my friends multimeter to check the old sensor. All is good. Heading out on the toy run with my club tomorrow. Feliz Navidad to everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts