Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, 1st post with a problem.
This knocking sound started on Saturday, it appears to only happen when in gear, forward or reverse.
It has been running a little rough a few times when i took it out for short runs.
Any ideas?
I made a short video of it -

·
Registered
2017 Can Am F 3 Limited 6 speed
110 Posts
I just listened to the video. Crikey! That sounds really clunky, and not good.
I personally would be reluctant to run that engine any more until it is fixed.

Im new to Spyders so cant really offer advice on how to sort it out.

I really avoid Dealers like the plague but would suck it up and play that for a service manager.
They may be able to provide some insight as to the possible cause and remedy.

Please report back as it may help members for the future.

Sorry for ya mate, but its fixable.

Gerald Mac

·
Registered
37 Posts
If it only happens in gear, forward or reverse, I would be suspecting a clutch or transmission related issue. The fact it doesn't occur with the transmission in the neutral position suggests it isn't the engine itself. I'd start with the clutch and work backward and hope it is something there as that has to be cheaper than the engine parts in front of the clutch. Sounds like a transmission tooth missing on a lay shaft perhaps. If it isn't the clutch, it's an engine out and split the cases job, which is probably good, because whatever broke it may have left a trail of broken tiny pieces throughout the motor?

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,436 Posts
All good thoughts above.
BUT.....I wouldn't go tearing the engine apart until you check the following:
Oil level.
Plugs and wires.
Look for oil in the radiator and water in the oil.
Check for liquid in the cylinders or coming out the tailpipe.
Note: It is pretty obvious that your battery is getting weak OR that there is liquid accumulating in one of more cylinders.
The starting is WAY too labored.

·
Registered
37 Posts
All good thoughts above.
BUT.....I wouldn't go tearing the engine apart until you check the following:
Oil level.
Plugs and wires.
Look for oil in the radiator and water in the oil.
Check for liquid in the cylinders or coming out the tailpipe.
Note: It is pretty obvious that your battery is getting weak OR that there is liquid accumulating in one of more cylinders.
The starting is WAY too labored.
Good idea, also drain and check the oil, the oil drain plugs (if magnetic) and oil filters to check if any unwanted shiny bits are lingering in the sump. The dealer could also scope the cylinders to see if anything untoward has been floating up and down in the cylinders before they start in on it.

When you select a gear, forward or reverse, does it actually move backwards or forwards, i.e. is the drive actually connected when the clutch is engaged, could it be one of the clutch or gear selector solenoids banging away trying to engage?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2012 spyder rt se5 has same issue. Have you came up with a fix yet for this issue? I have checked drive gear and splines, all ok. Did oil and filter change, no improvement. Thinking clutch is engaging and releasing for some reason. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts