Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I recently had my Original battery replaced by my Dealer. Upon boot-up, then Start, my display does the vertical rainbows and the bike reboots while it continues to run. Any clues? BUT what has happened is at +-35Mph the front end does a horrible wobble! Anyone have this happen? My Dealer has never heard of it.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,482 Posts
My Dealer has never heard of it.
ALL of that is BS.
You desperately need to find a different dealer......or someone else to talk to at that one.
The display problem might be as simple as the new battery not having enough charge.
And the wobble could be because of any one of several things, starting with the lug nuts being loose on one wheel.......even the back one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
New batteries should be fully charged before installing. So, if you’re at home plug a Battery Tender Jr in and give it a few days. As mentioned, check the wheels and any loose bolts or linkage around the A arms. Try and find another dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please let me clarify Gents, This Wobble has nothing to do with the integrity of the front or the rear wheels. This came out of Nowhere, only once. I was doing 35Mph with my wife in a car behind me, and the front wheels just went wiggly side to side as if I had dueling flats and stopped as soon as I hit the brake. If this were to happen at Highway Speed, I would be Jello. My Dealer now has told me that he just had a customer tell him the same story, but still no answer. The battery was just replaced as previously mentioned although I'm sure he would want to charge me Full diagnostics and so on. Any ideas as to what is going on? Dare I ride it 25 miles to the Dealer?

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,482 Posts
Please let me clarify Gents, This Wobble has nothing to do with the integrity of the front or the rear wheels.
Well, I respectfully suggest that you don't really KNOW that for sure.
It could be the tires. How are the pressures ?

It also can be the tire design coupled with the road surface with an relatively inexperienced 3 wheeled rider thrown in.
The deep tread grooves can sometimes follow ridges and valleys in the pavement and if you "over-correct" it can be really scary.
Have you ever ridden a bike over a river bridge with an open steel grate as the "pavement" ?
Same feeling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greetings Easy Rider, et al, I am celebrating my 60th year of Riding and Racing Motorcycles. I have owned, ridden and wrenched on over 50 bikes of many denominations. My RTL is one that, except for tire pressures and cleaning, I leave it's integrity to my Dealer. It is bone stock except for an aftermarket sway-bar and I have put 8K Miles on it since purchase with zero issues. My RTL has been regularly serviced and inspected by my Trusted Authorized BRP Dealer in Doylestown, PA. I live in the Delaware River Valley and cross numerous types and styles of bridges. I ride every day possible and choose from a stable of 8 street ready/legal machines. In 1972 I experienced a 'High Speed Wobble' on a Suzuki 500 Titan @ 112Mph, and promptly backed off. Racing Motocross on Regional and National tracks has, as I'm sure you know, quite a variety of challenges. This particular instance of Wobble, I bet is computer related to the Steering assist. Please excuse me if I haven't explained this properly, but I was merely trying to find out if anyone else has experienced this 'quirk' and what was done about it. Thank you all for the replies so far! Cheers, Mic

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,482 Posts
I don't remember it EVER being mentioned before, at least not with the symptoms that you describe.
If I understand it correctly, the electric assist for the steering is supposed to be disabled above some certain speed.

PLEASE do let us know what you find out in the end.
Others would likely find that information useful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
“If I understand it correctly, the electric assist for the steering is supposed to be disabled above some certain speed.”
You are correct as per a conversation with my Dealer today, however that ‘certain speed’ is a mystery. I was at +-35Mph when the craziness occurred. The Other similar complaint told to me by the Dealer was worn front end component component issues and was corrected. He wants to see my bike asap as my front end had a recent clean bill of health. Question here: Does the computer system on these bikes recall errors? I am Fearless to a point, but I wonder if I should ride it or roll-back it to the Dealer...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I to have a wobble at 47MPH, but what I did notice, and have yet to take it to the dealer, is tire ware on the inside right front. I don’t know if that’s what is causing it, but from the people I have talked to they say that the tire could be dragging causing the issue. The next ride I’ll go on I’m going to pass by my service folks and ask, and schedule for an alignment.p, if needed.

If any body has anything else, please reply.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,482 Posts
You already should know that an alignment is needed.......unless maybe you just have a defective tire.
But the BRP "alignment" procedure and spec's are a joke.
Find a shop that does laser alignment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts