Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Spyder RT Limited SE5 Bronze Lava Metallic.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never experienced this before. Long ride, almost empty tank. On fill up, the gas would spray back out of the fill pipe vent holes. Had to fill very slowly with the fuel nozzle barely inserted. Next ride, error codes showing lean condition on both cylinders. Check engine but no limp home mode. Would bypassing the EVAP canister (canisterectomy?) be an answer to this problem?

·
Super Moderator
1,094 Posts
Would bypassing the EVAP canister (canisterectomy?) be an answer to this problem?
Probably not. But you should NOT overfill it either.

The fueling problem might have been caused by the nozzle on the pump.

The lean condition could be from a loose or damaged air filter......or leaking vacuum lines.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably not. But you should NOT overfill it either.

The fueling problem might have been caused by the nozzle on the pump.

The lean condition could be from a loose or damaged air filter......or leaking vacuum lines.
the pump nozzle sounds interesting. Yet it has never happened before. It was almost like the nozzle was pumping air into the tank. Very weird. I try to never overfill. I will put my BUDS on it today and see what it tells me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has happened to me only once.
The end of the nozzle was damaged and finger of metal was partly obstructing the opening, causing gas to splash back OUT.
Connected my BUDS to check the error codes. Points to the EVAP control valve. So did more research (as I don’t want to change the valve) about removing the canister altogether.
From another forum:

seems a common thing, to remove the gas smell (yes, I have that too) and makes no difference to the bike. At least no mention in the thread. Not sure if the LEAN error will still exist, we shall see. Also, as I live in Mexico, trying to get parts is a bureaucratic nightmare!

so I will perform this mod next week as I am also doing work on my 2014 RT to replace a faulty brake light switch assembly (that was a biatch to figure out that problem) along with new LED head and fog lights. That is, if my parts arrive this week.

I will update my progress. (Hope it rains this weekend so I won’t be too bummed out about not riding with the gang. 🙁)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did my canisterectomy yesterday. Nice quick fix. No gas smell, no more tank blowback, no performance issues. Used my BUDS to clear the codes and all is well!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Never experienced this before. Long ride, almost empty tank. On fill up, the gas would spray back out of the fill pipe vent holes. Had to fill very slowly with the fuel nozzle barely inserted. Next ride, error codes showing lean condition on both cylinders. Check engine but no limp home mode. Would bypassing the EVAP canister (canisterectomy?) be an answer to this problem?
I fill my Can-Ams the same way. Right to the top. I need every bit of fuel when I ride. I have done this on my 2013 RT, 2016 RTS, and now on my 2020 RTL. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. The holes are there to allow air to get in the tank so you can get a full tank. A little splashback is ok.

·
Super Moderator
1,094 Posts
A little splashback is ok.
True. A LITTLE splash back is OK......and that is where you need to STOP.

Going past that point to where ALL of the holes in the filler neck are completely covered in fuel is NOT OK.
Had one owner who was even driving one front wheel up on the curb so he could get in even more.......and then wondered why his engine had started running bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts