Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Doing my best to fix my baby, and I'm straight struggling right now. A few weeks back I was a few miles from home and started losing power. Pulled over, and my exhaust had flames coming out. Towed it back to the house.

Forum investigation suggested that I may have blown a plug, which seemed plausible because it was running rough. I opened her up, fuel in the air box, plugs look toasted.

Today I put in new iridium plugs and fired it up. Still small amounts of fuel coming out of the airbox breather tube, and blowing a considerable amount of smoke, even out of the butterflies to the airbox.

Some smoke I could consider as somewhat normal, as the fuel was a bit old. But the fuel spattering out of the breather tube has me thinking this may be something else. At this point I'm considering siphoning the fuel and replacing with brand new, but wanted to see if anyone here has any "next step" thoughts or ideas. Would love a guiding hand, fellow riders. What should I do next? Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,485 Posts
At this point I'm considering siphoning the fuel and replacing with brand new, but wanted to see if anyone here has any "next step" thoughts or ideas.
Find a mechanic to look at it.
And stop taking advice from the "blown a plug" person; that is not even reasonable given your symptoms.

Having an injector stuck open might do it.
The vacuum hoses tend to crack and leak but I don't think any of them would suck in extra fuel.
And incase you are mistaken about what the extra liquid IS slopping around, you might have a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Find a mechanic to look at it.
And stop taking advice from the "blown a plug" person; that is not even reasonable given your symptoms.

Having an injector stuck open might do it.
The vacuum hoses tend to crack and leak but I don't think any of them would suck in extra fuel.
And incase you are mistaken about what the extra liquid IS slopping around, you might have a blown head gasket.
Thanks for that! Mechanic is next on my list, so even if the new plugs and air filter doesn't fix it like you said, at least I have new iridium plugs and won't have to do that crap again for a while hahaha..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts