Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my RS second-hand May 16, 2011. Since then I've put a few kilometres on it. Currently it's unrideable and I really need some help.

Problems:

1) First highway run it dropped into VSS/DPS failure while on a long straightaway. Very annoying and I had to ride back to town in limp-home mode. A real joy on a 100 KPH road when you top out at 80. Took it in to the shop, they did a software upgrade, problem went away.

(After the above, no problems until late October, early November. I didn't mark the dates, but I can find them out from the shop. Also, somewhere between problems 2 and 4 I figured maybe it's a pressure thing so I upped the pressure a bit on the front tires and made sure they matched.)

2) Anderson East coming onto Deerfoot North, just hitting 120 KPH when it dropped into VSS/DPS. In to the shop, replaced the sensors.

3) Anderson East coming onto Deerfoot North, just hitting 120-125 KPH when it dropped into VSS/DPS. In to the shop, cleared the error.

4) Anderson East coming onto Deerfoot North, just hitting 120 KPH or so when it dropped into VSS/DPS. In to the shop, cleared the error.

(Seeing a theme here?)

5) Headed home from number 4, Deerfoot North. I'm going through a curve and thinking "Y'know, this is the same sequence of moves as Anderson" when it drops right back into VSS/DPS mode.

Number 5 hit mid-December. I've tried once riding to/from work while in limp-home mode. Not doing that again. Result is that the bike's been sidelined for the past month and a half.

Dealership says they've been speaking with BRP and have sent in the last set of readouts, but they've gotten no help (and sometimes no response) at all.

Any suggestions on how the shop can disable or spoof the sensors so that it will stay up and running?

It's really sad that my 1983 Gold Wing was able to handle winter better than the Spyder. Really, really reflects badly on Bombardier.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had a similar issue. What made my issue go away on my 2011 RT was setting full preload on the front shocks and increasing the tire pressure from 14.5PSI to 20PSI. No problems since then.

My problems were mainly on sweeping curves to the left. It felt like my bike was swaying back and forth during the curves. Now with the air pressure and preload increased it feels like it is on rails. IMHO, soft front tires lead to the side walls flexing triggering errors in the DPS. It is a quick fix with no cost.

On the plus side, your dealer seems to be much better in the service department than mine was. My dealer was very hands off because they could not find any error codes.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My problems were mainly on sweeping curves to the left. It felt like my bike was swaying back and forth during the curves. Now with the air pressure and preload increased it feels like it is on rails. IMHO, soft front tires lead to the side walls flexing triggering errors in the DPS.
For me, the bike hasn't been swaying at all; it's just the system deciding that things are screwing up. However, I'll be contacting the shop today to see about getting the shocks adjusted and the code cleared. Only problem is, we've got flurries this afternoon. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got my bike back from the dealer. I was told that it was working perfectly, but was now out of warranty so I'd have to pay 3 of the 6 hours labour, just under $400.

Second day riding it to work, it dropped into VSS failure again (y'know, the thing I just paid $400 for and was assured was fixed). (With distance involved that figured out to about $8.80 per mile traveled since the "repair".)

Took it to the shop, about 20 minutes after closing. Tech was still there, he downloaded the stats and reset the system.

On the way home from the shop, VSSed again. This time, even better. Had a flameout at 120 KPH as the VSS choked the engine. Pulled off the road and restarted the engine while still rolling. Coasted down to 80K (on a 100 KPH road) and pulled off at the next exit.

Now I'm waiting for BRP to talk to the shop (apparently BRP's not giving any response whatsoever about this any more) and maybe someday I'll have a working bike. Right now I can't even ride it to work; part of the road from home to work is an 80KPH road.

Know anyone who wants a real nice bike that can just barely hit 50 MPH?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 RS Spyder - VSS Fault

I have a 2008 RS as well with the same type of issues. When this first happened was after my battery died and I got a new one put in by a dealer. I took it to the same dealer and they told me there was a power steering recall on the 2008 RS and replaced the power steering unit for free.

Seemed to fix the problem so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2008 RS as well with the same type of issues. When this first happened was after my battery died and I got a new one put in by a dealer. I took it to the same dealer and they told me there was a power steering recall on the 2008 RS and replaced the power steering unit for free.

Seemed to fix the problem so far.
2009 RS... happened once... dealer replaced power steering unit (still under warranty)... no issues since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a wiring connector problem that resulted from water intrusion. I cause failures of the main connectors and also at the DPS. Had to replace wiring harness and the DPS. 3500$ later i'm back on the road. It also went into limp mode; however the sterring worked fine. ensure your connectors have some dielecric grease in them to keep water out. I have a 2008 with 9000 miles on it. This is the first proble i've had out of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the trike back into the shop Apr 11 after talking to BRP. Came out May 3 with (I believe) a replaced steering motor. May 14, getting any more work done on it became a moot point. I'll be talking to a tech at BRP hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If I were you I would be contacting a lawyer and what ever Canada has as a BBB and your Nat'l Transportation Department Because what you are experiencing is a safety problem with the failures that are happening on the road, and putting your life in jeopardy BRP does not to give a damn about there customers after the sale.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, my problems with the Spyder are over.

Bow Cycle blacklisted me (presumably for talking to BRP). They're the only shop in town that does the electronic work. Next nearest shop is 2 hours north.

Spoke with the BRP tech, who explained all the wondrous sensors that decide if everything's working. Or not.

Subsequent to a second post-BRP-repair failure, I sent the error codes to BRP, got a nice message back saying "thanks for the codes, no we won't buy it back, it's working exactly as intended".

I dunno, having a trike that shuts down repeatedly doesn't strike me as exactly useful. Figured it out. In one year I got about 18 weeks of riding, 12 weeks in the shop, and the rest waiting for the shop.

So I sold it. Lost a few thousand on the sale, but better than keeping it.

And yes, I told the new owner (in excruciating detail) exactly why I was selling.

Given that Bow Cycle has told me that they'll never service a bike of mine again, looks like I'm off Spyders permanently (unless I move). I suppose that makes this my swan song on this forum. (Swan song? Agitated quacking? No idea.)

I wish you lot luck. When the trike was working, it was a joy to ride. For me, I'm picking up a Valkyrie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts