Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm a bit frustrated. I bought 2 brand new can-am Spyders and both have had electrical failures.

My first was an RS-S, beautiful pearl white machine. Firstly the pillion passenger switch went and then resulted in having to do 7-800 kms with the VSS failure light on before I could get it sorted.

My 2nd was a standard spyder RS, again brand new. I was riding the beast locally for probably the 3rd or 4 th time and as I was overtaking a car the thing lit up like a christmas tree with VSS error, DPS failure and 5-10 seconds later it felt like I was sitting on a washing machine not a very expensive 3 wheeler. I switched everything off and 5 minutes later I was on my way again only to enter a tunnel........and yes you guessed it, it christmas again.........

This time I was in a very tricky situation. After limping out of the tunnel at 20 km/h I reset everything again and made it 50 metres.......Then the truck was called out again.......to be delivered to a dealer that was shut for the holidays.......arg......

Are these common failures on the RS's

I just hope the warranty holds up.

Anyone have experience with mondial roadside assistance ? ? ? I have need of a hire car......

moto-rentals.com

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
It can be frustrating to say the least. These bikes are too complex and don't yield to a rider's abilities to control a bike. I wish there was a way to turn off all the controls and I'll take my chances.

Bought my 2009 RS used with 8000 miles on it. Put 1500 mi on it, then had a limp mode condition due to a faulty oil pressure switch. Took two weeks at the dealer to get the part in and installed. This problem was under extended warranty by one week.

Now I have a new VSS limp mode problem I talked about today in another post. I hope to get the front end alignment back to neutral toe-in and the handlebar straight to clear up the problem with the steering angle sensor. If it doesn't work, an out of warranty trip to the dealer will be required for them to reset the SAS angle and DPS torque reset. Two simply clicks of a mouse on a laptop display that will probably cost me a week of downtime and $100 removed from my wallet.

Once fixed, it will take awhile to forget the anticipation of the next limp mode incident which will happen. I drive 80 miles/day, much of it on divided highway where everyone is going 75 or more. I'll get run over in limp mode.

Spydersense

1 - 3 of 3 Posts