Can Am Spyder wannabe - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Can Am Spyder wannabe

I've put this in the general forum before I saw a WV forum. I've been looking into buying a Spyder and looking for some general information BUT I'm also having some apprehension. I live in Harpers Ferry and even though there is a dealer about an hour and 15 minutes away, Rydersville in Berkeley Springs, Can Am dealers are few and far between. Are there any fellow West Virginian panhandle Spyder owners out there? Would like to know what it's been like for you.
I'm wondering what the costs are to maintain these bikes. Could someone give me a break down of what it takes? Probably needs some specializing to be able to work on so couldn't be brought to just any old bike shop. I would hate to get one of these and the dealer stop carrying them or worse fixing them. Just like the Piaggio MP3 dealers stopped carrying them due to the headaches and hassles with Piaggio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCrowe View Post
I've put this in the general forum before I saw a WV forum. I've been looking into buying a Spyder and looking for some general information BUT I'm also having some apprehension. I live in Harpers Ferry and even though there is a dealer about an hour and 15 minutes away, Rydersville in Berkeley Springs, Can Am dealers are few and far between. Are there any fellow West Virginian panhandle Spyder owners out there? Would like to know what it's been like for you.
I'm wondering what the costs are to maintain these bikes. Could someone give me a break down of what it takes? Probably needs some specializing to be able to work on so couldn't be brought to just any old bike shop. I would hate to get one of these and the dealer stop carrying them or worse fixing them. Just like the Piaggio MP3 dealers stopped carrying them due to the headaches and hassles with Piaggio.
Years ago when the Piaggio MP3 first came out I considered buying one but went with a Yamaha T-Max instead. The T-Max is by far the better machine. That being said I was wondering why the MP3's suddenly disappeared from the local dealership a couple of years ago. Not curious enough however to investigate. You have filled in the blank on that one. As to your other concerns reference the expense of a Spyder - yes they are expensive to buy and to own unless you are mechanically inclined. Even then you will have to use the dealer if there are ever any computer issues. The cost of owning a Spyder if you use the dealer for maintenance is similar to that of a BMW motorcycle. The average for your first service at 600 miles is $400. Most dealers have a maintenance plan that you can purchase when you buy the machine that covers all the scheduled maintenance costs for 36 months, unlimited mileage. If you plan on riding a lot and I do mean a lot then the plan is worth it, you'll save a lot. If you only put 2 or 3 thousand miles a year on it then by all means pass on it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Can Am Spyder wannabe

thanks for the reply. looked up the Yamaha TMax today and it is a nice bike. Are you in the DC area? looking for some insight on local experience with dealers, can am and bike itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCrowe View Post
You won't go wrong with Ridersville... they are by far the best dealer (of anything) that I've come across. They sell over 100 spyders a year.
Just had my 600 mile service done (on a saturday)... bill was less than 1/2 the cost mentioned above.

Really, really good people there. I am 70 miles away from them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 02:39 PM

Just Saw This Thread

This is a bit late, but I bought a 2013 RT Limited at Ridersville on June 5. I have 1240 miles on it and love it . . . I live near the VA Hospital, just of Rt 9, near Kearneysville. Did you get a Spyder?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Can Am Spyder wannabe

Hayfield123

Sorry for the late reply. No haven't bought one yet but might go get one this spring. I've been watching the site for sales. I'm saving up to put as much as I can on a big down payment. I went and actually looked at Rydersville back in October since haven't seen one up close.

So how are you liking the Spyder so far now that you've had it for about 6 months? How's Rydersville as a dealer? Earlier post did say were good to work with. How many miles have you put on it?

I know where the VA hospital is. I live in Harpers Ferry but across the river up on the mountain.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 07:35 AM

BlackCrowe,

I have a 2009 black SM5 with the flat black paint package and back rest. My friend bought it new in 09. He had some financial difficulty and I purchased it last summer. It has approximately 16,000 miles and just had a full dealer service before winter including a new rear tire. I have the original windshield and purchased a larger windshield just before winter. I also have a new Can-am "outdoor" cover. The bike is stored in my garage. The cover was purchased for protection on the road and to cover it this coming summer when I thought my son was going to use it for commuting to work. He has just made a deal on a new Carrolla and wont be needing it. If this would be something you are interested in I would give you a good deal. Delivery or partial delivery is an option. My parents are in Williamsburg and I have access to trailers.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

So how are you liking the Spyder so far now that you've had it for awhile? How's Rydersville as a dealer? Earlier post did say were good to work with. How many miles have you put on it?

I looking at getting a Spyder this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode