Help please! - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 5ft2lilred

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Help please!

I got my new 2010 GS-S on Friday and quickly ran it into my neighbors garage door messing up my left gear arm making it not driveable. Too much throttle! OH Dear. Feel so stupid; but am a 66+ yr. old grandma who has not ridden a bike in 41 years and at that it was a Yamaha 350.
I need help learning to ride it and have no one to ask.
Anyone out there have any suggestions?
I live in Hillsboro, OR.

Last edited by 5ft2lilred; 05-26-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Found a trainer. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:03 PM

I'm too far away to help you (Tennessee) but I hope someone in your area will read this and give you a hand. Is the insurance going to pay for the repairs? Have you taken it back to the dealer yet? I'm being nosy - do you have your motorcycle endorsement? Did you take a rider's safety course prior to riding the Spyder? Lastly, did you ask the dealer for help in learning to ride? David
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 AM

Hi lilRed... I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bit of an unlucky start... Don't let it get to you; my grandfather used to tell me that the only people who don't make mistakes probably never tried anything in the first place! Have you ever ridden an ATV or a snowmobile? I'd compare the feel of a Spyder to them more than I would to a motorcycle.
Riding lessons... I'm also way too far away to help, but...
Get thee to a big parking lot! Preferably when it's pretty much empty of spectators...
Once there just take your time getting the feel of the how the bike responds to the throttle and brakes. Straight lines only at this time! Don't worry about speed... 1st and 2nd gear bursts only
Once you start feeling comfy with how the bike responds to your inputs you can start tinkering around with how it turns... Again... take small steps at each lesson. I probably don't need to say this, but try staying to secondary roads until you've gained some confidence in your Spydering senses...
Check with your dealer... Do they have anybody there who you can at least talk to aobut tehcniques and how to ride safely? Do they ever have rides for their customers? Sometimes the dealers can be a starting point for rides so you might be able to meet others who are just like you, but afraid to ask for some assistance...
Good luck, and please let us know how you make out!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Out with the old; In with the WOO-HOO!!
2010 RT A&C Gone; but not forgotten!
2014 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

No damage per se. Handlebar fixed by neighbor and buffed out scratches. . But now it wont' start. Was okay until this morning; so its on its way to dealer who is perplexed about problem.
Have a trainer coming to me next weekend; so hopefully will get it down. Got my permit yesterday; so good to go to practice.
Grawolf likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Found a trainer who is coming to my house next weekend. He does this for MCI and has all the cones, course requirements, etc. so he will make sure I pass the test when ready. thanks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:32 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ft2lilred View Post
I got my new 2010 GS-S on Friday and quickly ran it into my neighbors garage door messing up my left gear arm making it not driveable. Too much throttle! OH Dear. Feel so stupid; but am a 66+ yr. old grandma who has not ridden a bike in 41 years and at that it was a Yamaha 350.
I need help learning to ride it and have no one to ask.
Anyone out there have any suggestions?
I live in Hillsboro, OR.

I started riding when I was 55 - prior to riding I took the Motorcycle Safety Course - total worth it - they will teach you things to stay safe that you would probably not learn on your own.

Once you complete the course - the certificate they gave you -take to DMV - they will give you a motorcycle endorsement with a test.

It will save your life - I would not recommend riding without taking this course - check with DMV or Oregon motorcycle Foundation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode