New Can Am Spyder Limited owner - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Question New Can Am Spyder Limited owner

As a new Can Am owner I have a couple of questions....
1. I experienced issues with parking brake failing to disengage. Dealer ended up replacing everything between the switch to the motor which was also replaced. No further problems but do not have the confidence back yet. Anyone else have this problem?
2. Picked up the bike from the dealer about an hour away. After riding home parked in the garage for two weeks. Bike would not start. Took back to dealer and they said the battery needed to be charged. After an hours ride I would have thought that the battery would have been fully charged. Dealer claims that the charging system is designed to maintain the charge and will not completely charge the battery. I previously owned HD and always connected a trickle charge when it sat idle for a while. Anyone else have an issue with battery charging?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 04:54 PM

Congrats on the new ride. I personally have not had the dreaded parking brake failure however I’m sure it will happen at some point. Unfortunately being a powered system vs a manual park brake the possibility for fail rate is higher but not something I would be overly concerned about in the sense of being stranded provided you equip yourself with a little know how. I would suggest going on line to watch a couple videos of how to temporarily disengage the park brake at the rear wheel, not difficult and at least if it does it again you can get yourself home without the need of a tow truck. Just bare in mind once disengaged it can roll so be sure to chalk your wheels.

As far as your battery issue it should not be dead after sitting for two weeks. However that is also contingent on the battery being good to begin with. If your battery was not fully charged to begin with when you picked it up then yes, entirely possible it would have needed a charge. Also, batteries can develop a bad cell which effects overall performance and ability to store a full charge so you could also have a poor battery. See what happens going forward, if it does it again after sitting for a couple weeks after being charged you may have a bad battery. Less likely your charging system is an issue. Using a battery maintainer is never a bad idea if sitting for awhile, batteries are always discharging even when not in use.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 04:39 PM

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have access to a multimeter you can also test the battery yourself.

Not running your battery should read around 12.7v. That would be on the high side and be very good.

Running you should read anywhere between 13.8-14.4 volts which would indicate your spyder is charging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Yes. To both.

Both are common problems with many different Spyder models.
I don't remember seeing anybody who had a parking brake stick a second time after it was fixed.
You can find out more about that by doing a search for "parking brake" here and on other similar forums.

A battery will age much faster if it just sits unused......like on a dealers showroom floor.
A tender is a good idea for LONG periods of non-use but if you start with a fresh fully charged battery, two weeks just sitting should be no problem. Mine does that often.

P.S. It would be helpful (and interesting) to know what year and model you got.

'17 RT Limited

Last edited by Easy Rider; 02-05-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode