Newbe from Georgia - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By USARMY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Newbe from Georgia

I've finally reached my limit on two wheels. I'm 73 and I have some health concerns that have prompted me to start looking at the 3 wheel options. I currently own a Harley 2003 Heritage, which is up for sale, and I have started looking at trikes from all companies. I got interested in the spyder after following Lamont Bryden, we both owned a Valkyrie, back in the day. Anyway, I'm not exactly sure what model spyder is best for me. I plan on touring some and like the storage space of the RT. Other than that, I know nothing about the differences between the models. All help will be appreciated.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome.
I am in a similar situation.....but have never ridden a "land yacht" in my 50+ years on 2 wheels.

I had a HELL of a time adjusting to the different geometry of a Spyder.
Now I like it well enough but sometimes wonder if I wouldn't like a Goldwing conversion even better.

Do as many test rides as possible.
Rent one if you can for a while.

Some people adapt quickly and some don't.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I plan to ride them all, including the GW. From what I've seen so far I can buy a fairly new Spyder for a lot less than a 10-15 yr old HD or GW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hamlin View Post
I've finally reached my limit on two wheels. I'm 73 and I have some health concerns that have prompted me to start looking at the 3 wheel options. I currently own a Harley 2003 Heritage, which is up for sale, and I have started looking at trikes from all companies. I got interested in the spyder after following Lamont Bryden, we both owned a Valkyrie, back in the day. Anyway, I'm not exactly sure what model spyder is best for me. I plan on touring some and like the storage space of the RT. Other than that, I know nothing about the differences between the models. All help will be appreciated.
Mike
I,too am from Georgia and went from a two wheel HD to the Can AM Spyder. I have the RT and purchased in June, 2019. After a couple of trips to the dealer to resolve a bug or two I am completely satisfied with my Spyder. I especially enjoy the storage and the fact that, unlike any conversion trike, you can lean into a turn. Not as much as with two wheels but much more than a trike. My wife rides with me quite a lot thus the need for storage. we are both in our early 70's and I feel comfortable riding this bike. Some adjustment from two to three wheels but a quick transition for me.
Mike Hamlin likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I plan to ride them all, including the GW. From what I've seen so far I can buy a fairly new Spyder for a lot less than a 10-15 yr old HD or GW.
That may or may not be true, depending on specific circumstances.....and model choice.
It certainly was NOT true for my RT Limited.

'17 RT Limited
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by USARMY View Post
I especially enjoy the storage and the fact that, unlike any conversion trike, you can lean into a turn. Not as much as with two wheels but much more than a trike.
Welcome.

I've been riding for a bit over 50 years and that is the first time I've ever heard that claim.

What exactly makes you think that you can NOT lean on a conventional trike ??
Pretty sure I did it on some of my test rides.

Of course, it doesn't accomplish much by doing that on either design.......except maybe making it a little less likely to throw you off the high side in some unusual circumstances.

'17 RT Limited
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Where did you buy yours?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Where did you buy yours?
A quote would be useful in determining WHO that question is directed to.

I got mine in Brooksville, Florida.

'17 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode