Buying my first Spyder RT... some advice - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Question Buying my first Spyder RT... some advice

Hi...

This is my first post here, so excuse if this is a repeat topic..

I would like spend some weekends on ride a motorcycle . I did the Motorcycle basic curse and i loved the Spyder RT. A lot people said the Can-Am spyder are not reliable (mechanics and electrical issues) .

In this point i need Help from Spyders Owners.. advice about whats the things i need to take care when i will buy the Spyder RT...

I get some options:

1. 2012 red color RT-S. 11k miles. 998cc SR5
2. 2014 Orange color RT limited, 1500 miles. 1330cc SR6
3. 2016 White Color RT, 15k miles. 1330cc SR6
4. 2013 Yellow color RT-S, 10k miles, 998cc Manual.

your comments are welcome

Thanks a lot

Luis
Orlando, FL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 07:51 AM

I own two 2012 RTs and both have been great machines. The biggest thing with the 998s is you are supposed to have valve clearances checked every 25,000 miles or so which can be costly if done at a dealer. Although I would never say disregard the manufacturer recommendation there are many posts of those having this done and everything was within spec. I personally have not had this procedure done and likely won’t. The 1330’s do not require valve checks thus saving this cost down the road if inclined to have it done. The 998s also use a bit of oil (they all do it’s just the way they are) and will burn a bit more fuel than the 1330’s. The 1330’s have a bit more range to a tank of fuel and a little more HP. Both are great machines and really it will come down to what you want to spend. You can generally buy an a lower mileage RT with the 998 a few thousand cheaper than one that has a 1330 with higher mileage. That said if considering resale value then you want to go with the 1330.

Advice, don’t discount either both are great depends really on what you are willing to spend. If cost is a non issue, go with the 1330.

Also as far as model years they say the 2013 is the year to stay away from as this year had some issues.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbrnr View Post
If cost is a non issue, go with the 1330.

Also as far as model years they say the 2013 is the year to stay away from as this year had some issues.
Agreed.
And the semi-automatic transmission is a dream.
I would not recommend a manual.

The most common problems with the 2014 and newer models are not huge but can be expensive if out of warranty.
Parking brake motors and the control cluster on the left handle bar are the most common failures I think.

If you buy used, make sure you get at least a 30 day warranty, in writing, and consider buying an extended warranty.

Personal advice: If financing, save up as much down payment as you can BEFORE you buy.

'17 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode