Hi! - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Smile Hi!

Howdy! I live in western Pennsylvania, currently riding a 1993 Honda Goldwing. However... I am looking to purchase a pre-owned 2012 Can Am Spyder RTS. Took it for a test ryde today and I'm pretty excited! Looking forward to learning from seasoned ryders here on the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome.
How long have you been riding 2-wheelers ?
It will take some time to get used to the different handling and feel of 3 wheels.

Also....."old" Spyders are generally not as reliable as old Goldwings.

Have you considered a Goldwing trike ??

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Hi Easy Rider!

I got my first bike (a 600 Honda Shadow) in 2005. After three years, I upped my ride to a Honda Gold Wing. I test rode the Spyder and immediately "got it"...it's not like a two-wheeler at all, but it was still fun. I think the security of the third wheel will make me more confident, and I might find myself riding even more!

It's pretty cool when folks find out that this old lady is riding a big bike... all by herself. However, I can put one foot flat on the ground while the other foot is tip-toe only. As I am getting older, I'm getting "creakier" and my joints hurt more. The third wheel will be a blessing.

Yes, I've considered a GW Trike, but they are so darned expensive! Others in my riding group who own Spyders, love them. The one I'm purchasing has been owned and maintained by a friend in the group.

While your comment about "old" Spyders being less reliable gives me pause, but I am going to stick to Plan A - buy it. I want to learn to ryde it and maintain it so that it has a long and productive life.

Thanks for the welcome and comments. I look forward to learning from you and the others!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

I wish you luck.

My first Spyder was a '12 RT.....that I couldn't keep out of the shop it seemed.
Finally traded it in on a newer one.

Maintenance is a bit more difficult as "things" are harder to get to.
And parts specific to the Spyder are rather expensive.......and often are not "in stock".

I had mine all the covers off of mine once.....and won't be doing that again.

I moved from 2 wheels after about 50 years for much the same reasons you mentioned and don't really enjoy doing my own maintenance anymore......on anything.

'17 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode