Soon to be Spyder owner maybe - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Cool Soon to be Spyder owner maybe

I currently dont have a Spyder but im trying one out tomorrow and if i like it ill be buying one. I currently ride a 2010 Goldwing,a 2008 Honda 230L and a 2018 Yamaha XT 250..Im just wondering how dependable Spyders are...They are new to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 03:44 PM

I hate to say this.....because my '17 hasn't had any problems yet.....but they seem to have a few glitches that come up frequently.

Failing parking brakes might be the most frequent and frustrating.

A lack of good information on the integrated audio system is a common complaint but once you get it figured out it seems pretty good.

THEN.....the new digital dashboard on the '18 models, that requires a smart phone to make some of the nice features work, is a really sad example of something being released before it's ready. Seems like a LOT of '18 owners hate it.

Personally, I'm still not exactly happy with mine. Having trouble getting a stable ride going down the road at speed in a straight line.
The consensus on that seems to be that you need: A laser front wheel alignment, a stiffer sway bar and possibly even different tires to fix that completely. Unless you do the work yourself, that could set you back over $2000. Then it still will be a different feel than 2 wheels. Some owners feel the need to "fix" the handling feel and some don't.

Have you considered converting your Wing to 3 wheels ?
Some days I wish I had looked into that a bit more before getting the Spyder.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
I hate to say this.....because my '17 hasn't had any problems yet.....but they seem to have a few glitches that come up frequently.

A lack of good information on the integrated audio system is a common complaint but once you get it figured out it seems pretty good.

THEN.....the new digital dashboard on the '18 models, that requires a smart phone to make some of the nice features work, is a really sad example of something being released before it's ready. Seems like a LOT of '18 owners hate it.

Personally, I'm still not exactly happy with mine. Having trouble getting a stable ride going down the road at speed in a straight line.
The consensus on that seems to be that you need: A laser front wheel alignment, a stiffer sway bar and possibly even different tires to fix that completely. Unless you do the work yourself, that could set you back over $2000. Then it still will be a different feel than 2 wheels. Some owners feel the need to "fix" the handling feel and some don't.

Never considered converting mine to a trike. I did try out a honda and harley trike and didnt care for either. Tried out a spyder today and liked it. Going back for another test ride tomorrow and ill have to notice how stable it is going straight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 03:37 PM

I put 8 lbs extra air in front tires... seemed to help alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 03:53 PM

Grey Hawk

I also rode 2 wheels all my riding career, currently own, 82 wing, 81 cb 400T, 83 cm 450E, Hondas, and Suzuki 07 SV650 ,I purchased a 2015 Spyder F3 SM6, I never rode a 3 wheeler before, I have never regretted the purchase, and never enjoyed a machine so much, rode 2 wheels for 53 yrs and Spyder for almost 2Yrs. No problems yet, but, it all depends on ones riding habits and maintenance program.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Talking second test drive

Took the rt for another ride. Learned its alot easier driving by not holding on to the grips so tight like first did. It was 90 degrees today and no heat issues at all.Heat issues were the reason i got rid of my ultra classic....Did notice my forearms were a little sore from turning but im sure ill get used to it. Going back next week for a couple hour test drive to see how comfortable the seat is? Any suggestions on how to be more comfortable riding on a spyder...i know not to squeeze the grips so tight
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_from_NY View Post
Took the rt for another ride. Learned its alot easier driving by not holding on to the grips so tight like first did. It was 90 degrees today and no heat issues at all.Heat issues were the reason i got rid of my ultra classic....Did notice my forearms were a little sore from turning but im sure ill get used to it. Going back next week for a couple hour test drive to see how comfortable the seat is? Any suggestions on how to be more comfortable riding on a spyder...i know not to squeeze the grips so tight
I prefer to when I turn to put my weight on my foot and lean...that way I not pulling or putting any weight on handle bars when turning..even tho the bike does not lean u still have to so ur weight is not on handle bars

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode