Engine Hesitation, Trans Error Code - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Engine Hesitation, Trans Error Code

Hi, New to the forum. Just bought a 2009 Spyder SE5 with 5,000 miles. Looking for some advice please. I get an occasional "check trans" reading along with a check engine light. it wont shift up or down while in this mode but it doesn't last long and after a few taps on the shifter button it seems to function fine again. I read a few threads here and did make sure there is a ground wire from the coil to the frame. I changed the oil, filter, and trans filter with the new style housing which was also mentioned here. I'm Not sure if you can steer me in the right direction..gear position sensor?

Also, on occasion the motor stumbles, farts, and hesitates but not all the time...weird as it seems to happen more when I start off from a rolling stop and am making a right turn. It also backfires once in awhile. I did replaced the stock exhaust with a Can Am performance exhaust and unfortunately did it right after I bought it so i'm not sure if this is part of the problem or was always an issue. I followed the directions for the exhaust re-learn when I installed it. I replaced the spark plugs with NGK's and cleaned the air filter, and the air box just to rule out the obvious.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:49 PM

Sorry I can't help with this, I am also pretty new to Spyders. But, welcome to the forum, and I hope someone else will chime in and help you out. It might help others to know what model you have.

2013 SE5 RT Limited, White (with Sena SM10/SMH10 BT Coms)
2005 Suzuki C50SE, Red (with too many mods to list)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetmountainman View Post
Sorry I can't help with this, I am also pretty new to Spyders. But, welcome to the forum, and I hope someone else will chime in and help you out. It might help others to know what model you have.
2008-2009 only had the base model available.

Displaced Canuck
(Professional Photographer & Engineer)

2008 Yellow GS SM5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Can-Am lists this model as a 2009 RS SE5. Thanks for any help.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 07:09 PM

plug wires

When you changed your plugs, did you change your plug wires? Stock wires are very fragile and cheesy. Get Baja ron's wires.

I c u 8 1 2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,08,gs,sm5, many,many mods
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

No, I didn't change the wires, the stock ones have had issues?

Thanks...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 02:50 PM

stock plug wires

Are well known to fail after you mess around with them, like when you change your plugs. They are junk.

I c u 8 1 2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,08,gs,sm5, many,many mods
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 02:48 PM

Hi! This my first time to post. I also have a 2008 spider G'S semi automatic. I am 81 and love the spyder. I am getting a check transmission when I start up. The light also comes on for a engine check. The error turns off after I shift a couple times bur some times it returns. My engine also makes a fort sound like a miss. I just had the dealer do a 10,000 service check. They changed transmission oil and all the rest. Why is this happening?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belowme29 View Post
2008-2009 only had the base model available.
I am getting a transmission error. I just had the 10,000 service 2 months ago. 500 miles later I am getting this error. It goes away most of the time after shifting gears a couple times. What is the cause. I have a spyder 2008 G'S semi automatic.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 03:50 PM

I'm sure you have already done this but have you checked the oil level? They are very picky about just a little bit being low. It's probably something else but be sure to check. Other than that, get it back to the shop that did the service. They'll never know they screwed up if you don't make them do what's right. They have the computer(Buds) to help pin point problems. 50 miles is nothing really but you should have done that at first sign of trouble.

Do everything as if your life depends on it. It COULD!

American Legion Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode