Spyder won't start ??? - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Spyder won't start ???

I just got my new spyder 08 silver with 1100 miles on it.. Every thing is cool........How-ever some times the spyder won,t start...I push the button on the dash and try to start the bike... No click no nothing...the dash panel resets i reset it a few more times Bike won't start.....after a wile the bike starts?????

Help Please... Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:42 PM

It is nice to see someone else is having the same problem. The wife and I each have a Spyder and have encountered the problem on each machine. Does anyone have an idea on what the fix is? thanks-lw/
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 PM

Is it an SE 5 ?
If so step on the brake pedal before pushing the start button.
RazzleH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latemarch View Post
Is it an SE 5 ?
If so step on the brake pedal before pushing the start button.
If not SE5.... in Neutral, clutch in? I'm thinking there is a clutch switch like in a car? if so, clutch switch or se5 brake switch adjustment may be out.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Fix?

My spyder is in the shop under warranty....They tell me that the key switch sensor is bad....The nice thing i get two new keys.....Hope it Works.....
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Spyder Tech.

typically the main relay #2 goes bad. this will not let the dash illuminate though. i have seen the ignition switch and antenna go bad aswell. that usually shows "bad key" on the gauge though. next time you have that issue swap the relay with another one in the fuse box and see if it goes away. i am a spyder tech and have seen a lot of different issues. if you have any questions, send me a message.
Funtech likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:31 PM

Question

I didn't see this thread until after posting another message under "New SE Spyder won't start.

I've been told that it's necessary to press down really hard on the brake while attempting to start, but on my machine that doesn't do much. If it doesn't want to start, pressing down on the brake doesn't cause it to start. And doing some self tests today after the initial service, it would start with the brake not applied, and start in either N or 1. (once it felt like starting)

The "not starting" issue seems to be related to the E model. I've tried swapping relays in the "fuse" box, but nothing changes. I have noticed that pressing the M switch doesn't always clear the "read the card" message, or if it clears the message the message comes back. And if the message is scrolling it won't start. Even if the message clears, it won't always start normally.

My technique is to hold the start switch (and press on the brake) and cycle the M switch. Somewhere around the 6th or 10th release of the M switch and it suddenly cranks.

If you have any suggestions for my dealer tech, I'd appreciate it. I can do without the Spyder for a couple of weeks, and it can stay at the dealer once I get it transported. (Next Tuesday, I hope)

pmdave
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 11:44 AM

My new spyder is also in the shop being worked on for not starting. My tech told me that the M button on the dash has a magnet behind it to make contact and it doesn't always work but the M button on the back of the handlebar is a direct wired button and the Spyder will always start by using that button. Hope this helps.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 04:33 PM

Spyder won't start

I have been reading these threads about the spyder not starting and I have been having the same problem with my 2008. I bought it in March with 600 miles on it and started riding it in June - only have put about 100 miles on. It was starting just fine until a week ago. I would go through starting routine, push the mode button but nothing...I called 2 spyder mechanics and neither have ever heard of this. I have tried every combination of starting mentioned in these messages, but it only starts intemittently - no pattern. I have switched between the keys, thinking it might be the chip, but that makes no difference. Then varying the starting procedure - no pattern. The last attempt was to push the mode button on the dash several times quickly - and guess what...so far it starts each time. I don't expect this to last - obviously there is a problem...but at least it clues me in that it has to do with the mode button or the computer itself ( the mode button on the handle bar doesn't work either) as mentioned in one of these threads. I don't believe it is the chip in the key, the battery ( I haven't had any battery problem), starting procedure (like needing to press the brake or have it in neutral) - it is definatley something in the dash. If anyone else can add to this mystery - I'd appreciate it. I am bringing it in for service next week - but to a mechanic who has never dealt with the problem.
Kathy
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 09:28 AM

Got my Spyder Back from the dealership the other day. Because of all the rain here in NY, I had to trailer the bike home. When I went to get it off the trailer, it would not start. Took 10 min. When I got home from work, it tried to start it, again it would not start. Yesterday I finally could start the Spyder but it took three tries. While sitting on it, I called the dealership to walk me through the steps. I was told that the M button is a safety feature. The bike will not start until you push the M button and make the scrolling message stop. If the scrolling message doesn't stop, push the M button until it does and do not press the start button until it does stop scrolling. Because I was talking to the dealership for step by step instruction, the time between each step was longer than what I usually wait between step. The Spyder started on the first try while talking to the tech. guy. While the Spyder was getting serviced, the computer showed that there was nothing wrong with it. They did replace the magnet behind the M button on the dash. I was told that there is no way to bypass the M button because it is a safety feature and the only way to start it is to wait for the scrolling message to stop. I've tried it several times today and it started each time. Sometimes the message stopped after pushing the M button once sometimes it took 3 tries to stop the message but it did start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in