Spyder won't start ??? - Page 3 - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:43 PM

Yep, know this 'refusing to start' problem well. My 2009 Se5 has displayed every dumb message and flashed every red light possible in the months I have owned it, but not since I changed my start procedure. My non-starting appears to have been solved by pressing the brake pedal before putting the key in it's switch, then simply following the normal start procedure while the brake pedal remains pressed.

Good luck! They are lots of fun, hey!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzleH View Post
pressing the brake pedal before putting the key in it's switch, then simply following the normal start procedure while the brake pedal remains pressed.

Good luck! They are lots of fun, hey!
Great idea.
This certainly eliminates forgetting that the brake NEEDS to be pressed......which occasionally is a problem that I still have.
Now to try and establish an new "automatic" routine !!!
RazzleH likes this.

'17 RT Limited
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 04:32 PM

2008 Spyder will not start

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I just got my new spyder 08 silver with 1100 miles on it.. Every thing is cool........How-ever some times the spyder won,t start...I push the button on the dash and try to start the bike... No click no nothing...the dash panel resets i reset it a few more times Bike won't start.....after a wile the bike starts?????

Help Please... Thanks....
Hey, I have a 2008. I noted the same issue with the intermittent starting. However I noticed a pattern. If you push the mode button until you are displaying the time at least on mine it will always turn over.
Hope that works for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 06:55 PM

RT Limited won't start - flickering lights

Hello - I have a 2015 RT Limited, bought new and have 18K miles and the bike would not start this morning. The battery reads 12.7v and when I put a battery tender to it goes off quickly indicating the battery is charged. The terminals have been cleaned and tightened. Added another ground without success with getting the bike to start.

Here is my typical starting procedure: foot on brake, key in and turn, turn kill switch off, wait for dash warning then push the mode on the handlebars to clear. Press start. When I press start .. all goes black and then the lights start flickering like a turn signal (or caution rhythm) for the front headlights, fog lights and dash lights. Gets weaker and weaker with time. The bike would not jump. Tried pressing the mode several times long and short, get flickering lights and or all good but when I push the start button - instant black.

Checked all fuses .. look good, not burnt. Switched the relays. Plan to purchase new relays (for fun) and new battery (although battery seem good at 12.7v).

Any thoughts from more experienced owners? Much appreciated. Tina Tullos
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 07:37 AM

Replace battery. The battery is bad.

Spydel
2013 RT Limited
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyDel View Post
Replace battery. The battery is bad.
That is just a guess at this point and may not be true at all.

Seeing what the voltage reads with the ignition switch ON......and then what it reads when the start button is pushed should tell the story about the battery. Those readings need to be taken directly on the battery posts and not on the cable end connections.

Most likely causes:
Bad battery
Bad main battery cable connections......at either end.
Shorted starter
Engine frozen up

More tests are needed.

'17 RT Limited
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 04:46 PM

All - Pulled battery and had it load tested at Advance Auto parts. The battery was bad. New battery and good to go.

Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode