2020 Spyder RT Limited Suspension Fault - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2020, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

2020 Spyder RT Limited Suspension Fault

I purchased a new 2020 RT Limited. On my way home from the dealer I got a suspension fault. I called and they asked me to bring it in. They had the bike a week and said they cou not get it to throw the code again. Of course driving it home I get the code again and let them know. They tell me they are opening a case with CanAM and would let me know. 4 weeks later I never heard anything.

On a side note,, I was told when they sold me the bike it has an automatic air ride suspension. I have never heard a compressor tun on or off nor have I ever heard air being released as the load on the bike changes. I have verified the linkage between the swing arm on the rear suspension and the sensor on the frame is connected and moves when weight is applied to or removed from the bike.

This past Friday I took it to a different dealership (Same Company different location) they called me today to tell me they got the code to appear and explaind to me the code means the computer is timing out waiting for a response from the sensor on the suspension and the response it is waiting for is not happening. They continue to tell me my RT Limited does not have a compressor installed on it just the Schrader valve for manual adjustment.

I suggested to the service manager, could it be possible, the compressor was removed from the bike to fix another bike on the dealer's floor? Because I was told all Limited editions have the auto adjusting air suspension by the sales team. He said it could be a possibility and he has opened a new case for my bike with CanAM and asked me to call their support too to verify and help speed the process up with them.

My question to this forum, do all 2020 Spyder RT Limited bike have a compressor for the Auto Suspension System?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2020, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
they got the code to appear and explaind to me the code means the computer is timing out waiting for a response from the sensor on the suspension and the response it is waiting for is not happening.

They continue to tell me my RT Limited does not have a compressor installed on it just the Schrader valve for manual adjustment.

My question to this forum, do all 2020 Spyder RT Limited bike have a compressor for the Auto Suspension System?
I don't know for sure about them ALL but YOURS obviously was supposed to have one when it left the factory.
The computer knows that.
The service people at this dealership are morons.

You need to get the case number from them and then CALL BRP yourself about that case.......and politely but firmly tell them that you are being jerked around and want your bike fixed IMMEDIATELY or you want a full refund.
Call them back every day until there is a resolution.
It might not hurt to suggest that you are thinking about contacting a lawyer.

THIS IS PATHETIC.

Please tell us what dealership this is and where they are located.
Letting them know that you will be publicizing their terrible service might speed things up a bit.

'17 RT Limited

Last edited by Easy Rider; 12-02-2020 at 08:06 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I purchased a new 2020 RT Limited. On my way home from the dealer I got a suspension fault. I called and they asked me to bring it in. They had the bike a week and said they cou not get it to throw the code again. Of course driving it home I get the code again and let them know. They tell me they are opening a case with CanAM and would let me know. 4 weeks later I never heard anything.

On a side note,, I was told when they sold me the bike it has an automatic air ride suspension. I have never heard a compressor tun on or off nor have I ever heard air being released as the load on the bike changes. I have verified the linkage between the swing arm on the rear suspension and the sensor on the frame is connected and moves when weight is applied to or removed from the bike.

This past Friday I took it to a different dealership (Same Company different location) they called me today to tell me they got the code to appear and explaind to me the code means the computer is timing out waiting for a response from the sensor on the suspension and the response it is waiting for is not happening. They continue to tell me my RT Limited does not have a compressor installed on it just the Schrader valve for manual adjustment.

I suggested to the service manager, could it be possible, the compressor was removed from the bike to fix another bike on the dealer's floor? Because I was told all Limited editions have the auto adjusting air suspension by the sales team. He said it could be a possibility and he has opened a new case for my bike with CanAM and asked me to call their support too to verify and help speed the process up with them.

Ive got a 2017 RTL and it has the same suspension concept, I dont hear the compressor, but watch for the rise and fall of the rear end when I adjust it.

Your has the auto self leveling which works quite well. I do get a fault when I raise the rear suspension on the fly after I fitted aftermarket shocks all round. The rate of rise is restricted by the valving in the rear shock and causes the system to throw a fault. I work around it now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Previously I opened a thread on this problem. I currently have a lemon law claim against BRP. My bike was out of service for over 6 weeks over 4 times at the dealer. And, mine started while I was going home for the first time. The problem is the compressor is burned out. The entire suspension system has to be replaced with a new out of the box one. Settle for nothing less!~. My dealer put a suspension in from another bike, which, was in the in the box and it also failed. One problem with this system is there is debris in the valve causing the compressor to fail. Also, it's been found that the valve is installed upside down! Once the computer throws the fault, it will not try to recycle again. The entire system has to go or it will never work. The proper pressure is 40PSI. You can set the seat with a pump where there is an air valve under the seat. But if your is like mine, within an hour, the air comes out of it, and your riding on the frame again. Your dealer won't tell you this but I will. This is a common issue with the suspension. BRP has failed to acknowledge this problem. It takes weeks to get BRP to look at the case and more time for them to send out the suspension system. I feel for you. It's frustrating. I wanted a new bike because the one I had couldn't be repaired. BRP refused so I hired an attorney. Even though the bike has been repaired I still have a claim for damages. I didn't have my new bike for a good part of the summer. No loaner was provided and no monetary compensation was offered. But I am assured, BRP will be paying me for my time and inconvenience. Sorry for the long reply. Get the dealer to get on BRP to get you a new suspension a complete one! Nothing else will do. This is the only way to fix the problem as by now the compressor is toast. Good luck!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2020, 05:11 PM

How big is this problem? I have been a BMW rider for years and was actually considering going to the dealer to ride one. You can surly tell them that the lack of response is quite disturbing let alone the problem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2020, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedforSpyders View Post
How big is this problem? I have been a BMW rider for years and was actually considering going to the dealer to ride one. You can surly tell them that the lack of response is quite disturbing let alone the problem.
Apparently it doesn't happen THAT often.......since the two cases in this thread are the ONLY ones I remember hearing about.

And fixing whatever really caused the problem and replacing the compressor if needed should certainly fix the problem.
Only incompetent "technicians" replace a whole system instead of actually diagnosing the problem.

P.S. Unless you actually enjoy being frustrated by the new electronic link-to-my-phone dashboard functions, you might want to look for a good used '17 model. That was the last year for having all the electronics integrated from the factory.

'17 RT Limited
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2020, 06:58 AM

I have seen many places that do not understand diagnosis techniques.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode