Spyder Meltdown Today! - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Spyder Meltdown Today!

Started a scheduled 340 mile ride today at 6AM. On the return trip the brake lights started flashing intermittently. This caused the cruise control to stop working. I thought no problem. After a quick pitstop at the local rest area, the bike would not go into reverse. I was able to manage and start home again. After another 10 miles, the DPS light lit, then the check engine and check transmission lights! It was getting worse. Tried to do a stop/start reset. The engine would start, but the electric shift stopped working. Only option was neutral. Good thing the off ramp was down hill and I was able to coast off the highway to a safe spot. Called the dealer who said, bring it in, we'll take a look, but its up to you to get it here. Called the local tow truck that said $325!

Well, after $325 to the tow company and my wife picking me up at the dealer, I can't help but wonder why a $28k bike needs to be towed after less than 3,000 miles and why the owner has to foot the bill. I'm looking forward to contacting Can Am Monday to see what reason they have to give for my question. I will be sure to tell my friends and family about the wisdom of buying a $28k bike when I am done dealing with Can Am.

Dave
'11 RT Ltd.
crazy enough to do a Saddle Sore 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Did I mention that it was 106 when this happened?!

Dave
'11 RT Ltd.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 AM

Stoopid question here... Is there any way that you might have been riding the brake pedal? That can really bugger up the computer's mind...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Out with the old; In with the WOO-HOO!!
2010 RT A&C Gone; but not forgotten!
2014 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

When the cruise control stopped working I double checked that I was not riding the brake. (It really is easy to ride the brake on these things.)

I think that the gear position sensor went bad, but will probably hear from the dealer on Wednesday.

Dave
'11 RT Ltd.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 11:45 AM

The gear position sensor can often "lock" you in a gear, or at least prevent you from being able to get to neutral so that you can restart... but it's a good starting point! Please let us know what you find and GOOD LUCK!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

2014 RT Limited
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:18 PM

Keep us posted. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed since my 600 mi. check no issues, old or new. I have been doing a lot of reading on everyone's issues so I can keep informed if the time and need arrises. I find computers have a personality all their own and each one is different in a strange way. Good luck!! I also have AAA for my bike and trailer. It has come in handy. Once I had to have my bike towed from VT to Lake George. I never leave home without it.

JerseyGirl
Jersey Shore
2011 RT Limited
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:07 AM

[QUOTE=Jersey Girl;9443] I find computers have a personality all their own and each one is different in a strange way. QUOTE]

Let's all hope that it doesn't have a personality like "Skynet's"!

2014 RT Limited
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

So I called Can Am customer service today. What I was told is that even though they value me as a customer, they will only help with towing charges if I had bought the B.E.S.T. warranty. So after reading the fine print on the BEST warranty broucher, it has a $200 roadside coverage limit per occurrence. Speaking from experience, that is a pretty short tow!

I may upgrade my warranty just for the parts coverage based on my experience this last weekend. However, I will be changing my AAA to include the motorcycle towing also.

That is not the answer I was looking for after spending $28,000 on a motorcycle. So I guess that while Can Am will hopefully repair the bike under warranty (still waiting to find out the problem), it is buyer beware about how to get the bike back to the shop to be repaired.

Dave
'11 RT Ltd.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Well, the dealer called today and said that my battery was toasted and the run/kill switch was bad. Also said lots of error codes. BRP had them download the codes and send off to support. He should know more tomorrow.

The battery being bad surprises me. I keep it on a tender and the bike was starting just fine all day long.

Based on the weather report for Arizona this weekend, he can keep the bike till next week. We're looking at 107+ with chance for monsoon.

Dave
'11 RT Ltd.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 AM

Too many time I read this kind of a posting on all three forum, the bottom line is BRP does not care about there customers they get your money and it's bye bye you are on your own leave us alone. Spyders are selling fast so till there sales drop or there is another similar competitor out these they will do nothing to make sure the product is right and also take care of the customers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode