throttle freeplay - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
throttle freeplay

hi again all,

there is alot of throttle freeplay in my spyder F3. that is, there is a lot of throttle twist before any throttle change actually occurs. i have read about the 'pedal commander' and dont believe it would address this freeplay. as a 'ride by wire' setup, it seems the adjustment could be in the throttle assembly but might more likely be in the mapping software. has anyone addressed this freeplay?

thanks all.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting problem.
Your model doesn't have an "ECO" setting, does it ?
That can cause the throttle to feel "sloppy".

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
good question. yes it does have ECO. i turned it off the first day. it is still off with the freeplay. funny thing also is that there isnt any freeplay to speak of until i start the bike. there is lots at idle before the engine RPM increases. lots too as you let off of and then re-engage the throttle, like you might do on a tight curve or when turning a corner.

i havent disassembled the throttle twist grip yet. dont know if there is anything adjustable in there or not....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
well.... as it turns out, this is apparently pretty normal for at least some of the spyder models. i've had feedback now and have researched this on the internet. the only product addressing it at this time that i know of is the 'pedal commander'. its about $300 and intercepts the throttle POT voltage and alters it. it has tons of settings to choose from. i dont like it because of the cost, the number of settings you must work through, and that the control unit is not removable. it has to stay inline somewhere on the bike and in my opinion is ugly to have hanging out there all the time. for me, i would find the setting i want and forget about it. it does allow you to change settings through your smartphone with their app installed.

there seem to be other manufacturers considering adapting their similar devices to the can-am also. i contacted 2 of them, 'roar pedal' and 'sprint booster'.

RP is much less expensive, but isnt making it yet for the spyders. they asked me to gather some voltage readings off of my throttle and send as picture of the connector, to get a discount. i declined. the discount wasnt nearly enough for the work involved and their device seemed the most complicated.

SB makes the product i would actually buy. it had won the SEMA award for best new electronic product back a few years ago. it costs about the same as the pedal commander, but is far less complicated and the controller is removable after you choose a setting. my kind of device! unfortunately, they are made for many, many cars and trucks only. they have a list of motorcycles and the can-am is now on their list. but they sound overwhelmed at adding new vehicles for their device and in no rush to do so....

if anyone knows of others improving the throttle response, please let me know.

thanks all!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyingguy View Post
if anyone knows of others improving the throttle response, please let me know.
Freeplay and response are two very different things.

Have you looked at the mechanical throttle mechanism yet to see if there is some extra slop that could be removed ?

'17 RT Limited
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
for sure: free play and response are quite different. and these products address both.

oh yes, i've checked (and internet research didnt find any...) there is no adjustable mechanical component to the twist throttle on my spyder.... if you have an idea, feel free to take a pic or 2 and i'll check that out too.

thanks for the feedback....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

I am not talking about "adjustable" but about something that might be loose or broken or bent.
There has to be a mechanical stop of some kind when the throttle is fully "closed".
And the throttle position sensor could be out of whack somehow.

But you are right, I don't REALLY know exactly how it is put together.

The only time I've noticed anything like that with my RT is when the cruise control is ON.......and you want to speed it up a tad without disengaging the cruise.

'17 RT Limited
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
maybe that POT (potentiometer) is producing the throttle freeplay (it really is the stop sensor you refer to) and the slow response, by causing the throttle to have to be twisted so far. i truly hadnt considered that due to its newness (1800 miles when i bought it). something to consider, since there is no throttle freeplay like a cable-actuated throttle when the engine is off.

i see similar to your experience when i engage my cruise control also.

i do appreciate the feedback; like house MD through his staff, it rolls around up there as i determine alternatives....!!

Last edited by funflyingguy; 08-18-2020 at 02:56 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 09:17 AM

It could simply be a faulty throttle or throttle position sensor. I would take it to the dealer and ask them to take a look at it. From your description it sounds like it should be relatively noticeable to a technician that takes it out for a ride. Good luck!

Rick H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode