Park Brake Failure 2010 RT se5 - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Park Brake Failure 2010 RT se5

Hello everyone, anybody ever have a park brake failure on a se5 rt? had a park brake fail warning pop up on screen this past weekend at myrtle beach bike rally,and then park brake is gone,no noise or clicking sound,called a can am dealer down there and they said it sounds like solenoid is shot,anyone have this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 01:08 AM

Tried a search but it showed no results. My park brake is being finicky. It won't react with a single push of the button, multiple attempts are required. I am worried it will stay on sometime and not release at all. Can someone tell me which relay it would be?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Here is what I found..

We picked up our 2012 RTs E5 yesterday and drove it about 15 miles.
Today Shirley went to the bank and called said it is showing a parking brake failure.
It showed the parking brake was set however it was not engauged.
I know it is under waranty but my dealer is 1 1/5 hrs away and ... yeah. its Christmas eve...
Long long story short. The cable E brake came off of the front acuating pully. BRP uses a plastic pully where the brake cable slips on. this cable has a twist and when installed does not fit all the way in and it is sort of cocked. when activated it pulled out. Again,.... plastic pully and when it pulled out, it compromised the integretary of the pully. Is should never have been a plastic pully in the first place, and the attachment leaves allot to be desired. (better cable attachements on a lawn mower) I was able to reconnect the cable however it threw a fault code that the dealer needs to erase. Oh and it will likely come off again. BRP need to have a recall with a FIX for that. there is a hill billy fix that will work for all of you that are out of waranty. Use a piece of aluminum L brackes cut to about 2 inches and secure it to the back plate right above the pully and cable. It will not touch it if done right and if the cable starts to come out the bracket will not allow it to do so.

After paying OVER 20 thoudand for a new ride one would think that because this has been going on since at least 2011 there would be a fix

Best of luck
And
Merry Christmas
Kurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Super Moderators

I had the same thing happen on our '11 RT Ltd earleir this year

we were driving along and all h*ll broke loose with alarms saying the same thing

turns out our rear brakes were shot.. we had metal on metal so needed a rear brake job..

it's amazing how little brake material there is on these things.. the rear pad material is about 1/8 " thick maybe a bit more and the front is about 2x as thick as that

2011 RT Ltd, ISCI floorboards/cruiser boards and LED nut with custom Halo kit and custom Fusion power plant, 50 SPF sunblock and cheap sunglass, total Grfx on bike and matching trailer

Last edited by Paladin; 12-24-2012 at 02:00 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 04:37 AM

Taking it to the dealer today. Lets see what they do !!!

-------------------------

2012 RTS E5
BLUE
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 AM

Took it to Florida motor Sports. I have to say I was impressed. one just doesnt know what there going to do. Then said they will replace the cable and pully and also put the hilbilly fix on it so this wont happen again. The teech David will also call BRP and discuss the issue. Parts had to be ordered so I left it. Going on Vacataion here is a couple days and I ordred a hitch for it when we bought it so there going to install that as well then...Yes Deliver it to the house.
Im impressed happy so far with results. Hope it is the only problem I have...

Also there is a recall on the gas cap everyone...

-------------------------

2012 RTS E5
BLUE
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA1MDHAM View Post
Hello everyone, anybody ever have a park brake failure on a se5 rt? had a park brake fail warning pop up on screen this past weekend at myrtle beach bike rally,and then park brake is gone,no noise or clicking sound,called a can am dealer down there and they said it sounds like solenoid is shot,anyone have this happen?
Had that happen a couple months ago to my se5 rt. The forward end of the parking brake cable came loose. Dealer's service people reattached cable.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 03:44 PM

Ihave a 2013 spider rt the parking brake will work until you ride it about 30 min, then it quits, but will work again after it sits for one or two hours, can anyone help
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biggs View Post
Ihave a 2013 spider rt the parking brake will work until you ride it about 30 min, then it quits, but will work again after it sits for one or two hours, can anyone help
Exactly how does it "quit" ?

This is a fairly common problem and often results in the replacement of the parking brake "motor".
BUT.....some people disconnect the mechanism at the back brake and when it is all put back together that seems to fix the problem.

I think you should let your dealer have a look at it.

'17 RT Limited
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 11:27 AM

I have a 2013 spyder the parking brake and wind screen both don't work the dealer said it is a faulty module that cost 600 save your money for parts .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode