Parking break front pulley installation - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Parking break front pulley installation

Can anyone provide instructions for replacing the parking brake front pulley without BUDS on a 2016 rt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Why would you think that BUDS is required for doing ANYTHING for the parking brake ?
AFAIK, it is not involved.

What happened to the pulley that it needs to be replaced ??

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

The other day I made an emergence stop and locked up my brakes. This resulted in the caliper shifting, the parking brake cable shredding, the parking brake front pulley breaking and the Brake Pressure Switch Ass'y broken. Also, the caliper shifted far enough to hit and break the Axle Adjustment Support. Bike is 2016 RT special edition. I have all the replacement parts but I'm concerned about replacing the front pulley without buds (the Spyder manual says it's required after installation). I really don't want to take a guess for the pulley proper mounting and then tear things up again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_07.jpg (14.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_070.jpg (70.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Gruncle; 11-14-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2020, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruncle View Post
but I'm concerned about replacing the front pulley without buds (the Spyder manual says it's required after installation). I really don't want to take a guess for the pulley proper mounting and then tear things up again.
The BUDS system will certainly be required to properly bleed and re-calibrate the ABS/stability control brake system after all that work.....and if the book says it is "required" then it IS and there is no good way around that.

I'd be more concerned about WHY it happened the way that it did.
No matter how hard you stomp on the brakes, a caliper should never shift like that.

'17 RT Limited
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2020, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

If you look at the picture of the caliper you notice that the Rear Caliper Support (plate with the slot) is pointed down. That slot is for a lug mounted on the inside of the swing arm to fit into which would lock the caliper in place. I'm assuming that plate was not aligned properly when I changed the tire and the force from locking up the brake was enough to spin the whole assembly out of place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode