Whining thu the gears on a new RT Ltd - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Whining thu the gears on a new RT Ltd

My new RT with only 250 miles has a severe whine while going through the gears. Have not been back to the dealer. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Some whining from the transmission is to be expected with this kind of transmission but most owners don't notice it.
Remember that you ARE sitting right on top of the engine.

If the noise really is "severe" then you should take it in for warranty service.
There might be something drastically wrong.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdakis View Post
My new RT with only 250 miles has a severe whine while going through the gears. Have not been back to the dealer. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
How fast are you going when you hear this? There have been reports of belt noise at about 50mph. It could be a belt or a tight transmission. Does the bike shift normally? Have you checked the oil level?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2020, 06:21 PM

I have the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdakis View Post

Thanks Mark
My 2019 RTL with 3000 miles has that whine. It's very loud and annoying to the extent that I wear ear plugs. When they installed the new drive belt it went away for a little while but has now returned. It starts around 37 mph and it doesn't change as I change gears but it does get louder as the speed increases. I've read in other forums that not every rt has this problem but many do. You, and I, are part of those unfortunate ones. I've also read that it sometimes goes away around 3000 miles. I keep hoping this is true in my case, but it hasn't happened yet. I have not gone back to the dealer about this yet. Perhaps next year I will. We are still riding here, in northern Indiana, but will need to put it away for all of January/February. Cheers and safe riding my friend!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2020, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzguy View Post
It's very loud and annoying to the extent that I wear ear plugs.
I keep hoping this is true in my case, but it hasn't happened yet. I have not gone back to the dealer about this yet.
This is NOT a wise plan that you have.
What you describe is NOT NORMAL.

It could be just a mis-aligned belt, which will wear it out quicker, but it also could be something like a dragging brake or a bearing going bad.

Please get this checked out before something drastic happens out on the road.
It will NOT fix itself.

'17 RT Limited
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 04:44 PM

What you have read is the whine in RTs at about 50mph. I had it as well. I think it's because of the tensioner put on the belt. I had a bit of grease put on the rear sprocket and it wore into the belt. This seemed to help with the noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode