Air Suspension - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Air Suspension

Hi There, just wondering has anyone put a purpose made shock in rear of Can Am Spyder Rt Ltd, 2012 in place of using air suspension, I have had a lot of trouble with suspension leaking, compressor failing , etc. I have come across a company in U.K. who manufacture shocks , If I taught this would solve the problem , I would fit one straight away. Just fed up with air suspension letting me down, Thank you in advance of any comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Hi There, just wondering has anyone put a purpose made shock in rear of Can Am Spyder Rt Ltd, 2012 in place of using air suspension, I have had a lot of trouble with suspension leaking, compressor failing , etc. I have come across a company in U.K. who manufacture shocks , If I taught this would solve the problem , I would fit one straight away. Just fed up with air suspension letting me down, Thank you in advance of any comments.
I have replaced all shocks with Wilbers custom shocks and retained the air bag. Keeping in mind I am using the OEM shocks from BRP/Fox as the baseline, but am very fussy about the way any vehicle I own handles, getting rid of the OEM shocks was one of the best upgrades I have made.

The Wilbers have adjustable spring pre-load and adjustable rebound dampening, and for 1 up, 2 up or towing a trailer, they have been excellent at tidying up the bikes behavior in those times where the RTL gets nervous mid corner. Prior to fitting them the rear shock would see it bottoming out on some of our roads here in Australia, but this has ceased, with the variable spring rate of the rear shock.

Last weekend was a bit of an epiphany for me. I'm 90 Kgs, and took a 110 kg mate for a 1700 km run. I was expecting the RTL to bottom out at some stage, and it didn't. Some of the roads were very ordinary and the rear took it in it's stride, which was impressive given we sat on speeds between 100-130 km/hr on the open highway.

With a better shock (which isn't hard to find compared to the OEM's) and doing away with the airbag may be an improvement, but I wonder if its worth it given it works well if the shock controlling its stride is doing a good job
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your comment, I live in Ireland and the roads are not great, last year I replaced the Air Suspension, only for it to go again, that is why I was thinking of not bothering to go through a costly repair again , I was thinking of just putting in better shocks front and rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I have a new 2020 RT Limited. I'm having problems with the rear suspension. You can no longer change it. The pump soesnt work and the bag doesn't hold air. I would be happy to replace it with a good old stiff shock.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 05:30 PM

Claimbo, that's a warranty problem. Why are you not all over the dealership like a cheap suit?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybros View Post
Claimbo, that's a warranty problem. Why are you not all over the dealership like a cheap suit?
I have ! Its not the dealer thats the problem. Its BRP. I have called and written to them. Only the dealer can handle this. Well, they put the dealers through hell running tests for a week before BRP athorized a new system to be put into the bike. I am still waiting to hear. BRP is so differcult to deal with. This is my 3rd spyder and I will say I will never buy another from them.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 05:36 PM

You should ask your dealership to open a case with BRP. That is their responsibility to do it if they do not have the immediate technical knowledge on site to do it. If the dealership will not open a case you should write [email protected]. Politely, concisely and completely explain the problem including the dealership's refusal to open a case when you asked. Possible second alternative, find another dealership.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 07:12 AM

ELKA shocks, go to their website. I installed on my 2014 LTD they work very well.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 04:16 PM

Again, the dealer has a case open. They spent hours on this problem last week and installed another unit out of the box and put it on. It's about 1500 dollars in parts alone. It still didn't work. I have written and spoken to BRP myself. They can't find the cases already open for this bike! Incompetance. I have given them until Friday to fix, refund or a new bike. That's my state's lemon law. As for the ELKA shocks, I'm not sure they will work in the 2020. This is a new system that the rider cannot control. It's all computer-controlled. I really wish it was that simple. I would just replace the shock.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claimbo View Post
Again, the dealer has a case open. They spent hours on this problem last week and installed another unit out of the box and put it on. It's about 1500 dollars in parts alone. It still didn't work. I have written and spoken to BRP myself. They can't find the cases already open for this bike! Incompetence. I have given them until Friday to fix, refund or a new bike. That's my state's lemon law. As for the ELKA shocks, I'm not sure they will work in the 2020. This is a new system that the rider cannot control. It's all computer-controlled. I really wish it was that simple. I would just replace the shock.
Let me be more clear. Its not the shock that bad. It's the airbag unit that is bad. The shock works fine. The problem lies in the inflation of the airbag that controls the ride height and the softness or hardness of the ride. This system is supposed to have 40 pounds in the bag. It often has 0. I ride the bike up to five miles and I get a suspension fault. It's been very frustrating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode