Battery issues - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Easy Rider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Battery issues

So I inadvertently left the key in the on position and completely discharged the battery. Put the jumper box on and it started right up so I put it on the trickle charge and charged it up completely. It started but weakly. I then put the jumper box on overnight and it started again weakly. I rode it four about 15 minutes after which the battery was too weak to start it. The battery is about four months old. Could I have destroyed the battery? I mean how is that even possible? Could some damage have come to the charging system and how is that even possible after a simple thing like a dead battery. HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachsalve View Post
Could I have destroyed the battery? I mean how is that even possible? Could some damage have come to the charging system and how is that even possible after a simple thing like a dead battery. HELP!!!
Not likely that your charging system went bad but it really is not very strong to begin with.
I think it IS likely that your "trickle charger" is not working right though.
And I hope it really is a smart battery maintainer and not a cheap trickle charger.

It is also possible that the battery has failed just from that one discharge though.
You need to get the battery fully charged and tested.
It should still be under full warranty.
(No need to tell them about your little mistake !!)

P.S. Connecting a "jumper box" or any other battery is NOT a really good way to charge a battery that is flat.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Yes thanks for the response. Its a Battery Tender Plus costs about $70.00 so not a cheap one. When I connect the jumper box it cranks like a champ but not on its own even though the tender says that its fully charged. Its a new battery and not OEM but it was advertised as good fitment for my machine. I also think the CCA was the same as the original. Oh well I'm gonna get the battery load tested next and as you said the battery is still under warranty. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh well I'm gonna get the battery load tested next and as you said the battery is still under warranty. Thanks for the help.
And before you do that, disconnect, clean and reconnect the cables to the posts.
Sometimes enough corrosion is INSIDE the connection point so that it isn't making a good connection.

ALL of that other stuff that you mentioned might not be meaningful because even new stuff sometimes fails "right out of the box". Especially when you accidentally leave the lights on.

'17 RT Limited
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

One thing is interesting though the bike has always started with a kind of slow crank (even with the original battery) but with the jumper box attached it cranks like a champ. DO you find that yours cranks slowly before it actually starts?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
but with the jumper box attached it cranks like a champ. DO you find that yours cranks slowly before it actually starts?
NO.

Not unless it has been sitting for a couple of weeks without a tender.
But that kind of depends on your definition of "slow".
I have sometimes wondered if the 3 cylinder 1330 might be better off with a slightly bigger battery though.

Note that most "jump" connections are made to the cable ends and NOT to the actual battery posts.

So, if it cranks a lot better with a jump, that can mean that your battery is getting weak......no matter how old it is.....OR that the connection between the cable end and battery post is not ideal......or a little of both.
camabe66 likes this.

'17 RT Limited

Last edited by Easy Rider; 09-04-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode