Dead Spyder - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Dead Spyder

I have a 2014 RT Limited. I went to start it and got push mode button, then the screen went to startup, hit the starter button and everything went off.
I have checked the battery and the terminals, terminals OK, battery shows 12.8 volts. I have checked the fuses all OK.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Have you checked the OTHER end of the main battery cables too ?
The negative cable connection to the frame is often a problem.

And.....you can't really check the terminals by looking at them and tugging for tightness.
Often they need to be removed and cleaned.

After it went dead, did it STAY dead on subsequent starting attempts ?

I must admit that I don't know if these have a "main fuse" like most motorcycles do.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 08:08 PM

Garage
Sounds like battery time. Clean & tighten cables, fully charge battery, load test battery.

----
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2020, 10:50 PM

Garage
Due to many owners adding extra accessories to the battery, the battery maker (Yuasa) provide slightly longer terminal screws. Add a washer or two and tighten. I've read that a lot of owners have this problem. Many dealer add a Battery tender pigtail which does the same thing as the extra washers.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...3at90635PM.png
Susie - 2018 RT-Limited with 14400 miles so far . . .
'13 Spyder ST-L with 21k miles
'04 GL1800 with 91k miles
'97 GL1500 with 87k miles
'95 GL1500 with 102k miles
'89 GL1500 with 96k miles
'83 GL1100 with 117k miles
'81 Honda Silverwing with 36k miles
'79 Kaw 400LTD with 26k miles
GWRRA - 38 yrs - Life Member
AMA - 40 yrs
Just remember, if common sense is so common, why do few people have it?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
Due to many owners adding extra accessories to the battery, the battery maker (Yuasa) provide slightly longer terminal screws. Add a washer or two and tighten. I've read that a lot of owners have this problem. Many dealer add a Battery tender pigtail which does the same thing as the extra washers.
I would suggest never have any accessory wired directly to the battery. Have everything wired to the switch. When the key is off, so are all your accessories. There is no chance of them killing your battery. I had led lights wired up to the battery. One night I forgot to turn them off. I went into the garage the next morning and sure enough, the battery was dead. As I have said in another thread, once the battery is drained, there is no way to get it back. I have ridden a bad battery for an hour but it was still dead. So be careful when you wire.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2020, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claimbo View Post
I would suggest never have any accessory wired directly to the battery.

As I have said in another thread, once the battery is drained, there is no way to get it back.
A little clarification is needed here.

SOME accessories need to be wired directly to the battery, with their own fuse and maybe a relay, because of the current load. Air Horn is a good example. Running stuff like that through the ignition switch might make the wiring or switch SMOKE.

Then, your battery drained statement is only correct under some circumstances.
The onboard system isn't designed to recharge a totally dead battery so riding won't do the job.

IF, however, the battery is fairly new AND it wasn't run down to stone cold dead, a battery charger around 4 amps should be able to charge it up over 24 hours and it might last a long time.
If it was old and somewhat weak to start with, that's a whole different story.

'17 RT Limited
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2020, 08:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claimbo View Post
I would suggest never have any accessory wired directly to the battery. Have everything wired to the switch. When the key is off, so are all your accessories. There is no chance of them killing your battery. I had led lights wired up to the battery. One night I forgot to turn them off. I went into the garage the next morning and sure enough, the battery was dead. As I have said in another thread, once the battery is drained, there is no way to get it back. I have ridden a bad battery for an hour but it was still dead. So be careful when you wire.
Using a relay to power accessories requires a direct connection to the battery. I use a Neutrino Black box to provide power to lights and other accessories and the power is from the battery. turning the key on gets a trader wire on which activates the relay and then the lights and everything work.

I also have heated gear directly connected as well as a security dash camera that barely used any power but needs to be powered when the key is off. I have had a few times when the bike wouldn't start and after a few days on a Battery Tender, it starts the bike just fine. depends on the battery's condition.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...3at90635PM.png
Susie - 2018 RT-Limited with 14400 miles so far . . .
'13 Spyder ST-L with 21k miles
'04 GL1800 with 91k miles
'97 GL1500 with 87k miles
'95 GL1500 with 102k miles
'89 GL1500 with 96k miles
'83 GL1100 with 117k miles
'81 Honda Silverwing with 36k miles
'79 Kaw 400LTD with 26k miles
GWRRA - 38 yrs - Life Member
AMA - 40 yrs
Just remember, if common sense is so common, why do few people have it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode