2012 RT-A&C -- Digital Temperature / Voltage Gauge Recommendations - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

2012 RT-A&C -- Digital Temperature / Voltage Gauge Recommendations

I have a 2012 RT-A&C and am looking to replace the OEM analog gas & temperature gauges with digital gauges for voltage & temperature. I currently have both of the analog gauges disconnected so that the main electronic screen shows the bars for gas & temperature. What led me to wanting to do this is that I installed the magnetic side mirror mounts and after doing that, I found out that the magnetism causes the temperature gauge to not read correctly. Consequently, I'm looking for recommendations on a digital readout temperature gauge & digital readout voltage gauge to buy/install where the OEM gas gauge & temperature gauge is located in the dash.

I'm not too concerned about finding a compatible voltage gauge that I can easily install, but the temp gauge does have me concerned.

I found this temp gauge on Amazon, but not sure if it would be compatible and if so, how to connect it.

https://www.amazon.com/HOTSYSTEM-Ele...FK3JN6W055XSW5

BTW, I already have (2) USB power outlets in the main switch panel, so I'm not interested in adding power outlets, but I am open to any other ideas if the digital readout temp gauge does not work out.

I appreciate any recommendations on what my options might be for what I think could be a really cool setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

I do NOT think that magnets will cause the temp display on the main screen to be wrong. That function is all electronic. No magnetism involved like with the analog meter movement.

The easiest way to get a digital voltage reading might be to replace your USB ports with one that has a digital meter built in.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I may not have been clear with my original post regarding the magnetism affecting the temp gauge.

The issue that I saw was with with the round analog temp gauge on the right side of the dash. When I installed the magnetic side mirror mount, it caused this gauge to not read correctly. This was confirmed by a service tech using BUDS at the Can-Am Dealer. It caused the gauge to show a much higher temp than the actual temp. The needle was right at the bottom of the high temp caution area near the top of the gauge.

I was hoping to find a 52mm/2" round digital readout coolant temp gauge to replace OEM analog coolant temp gauge that I could mount in the same location on the right side of the dash. I was hoping that the one I found on Amazon (see link in original post) would work, but I'm not sure if it is compatible, and if so, how exactly to install it.

BTW, I did find a 52mm/2" round digital readout voltage gauge to install on the left side of the dash where the original analog gas gauge is at. Still waiting for it to be delivered, but I'm not concerned with it working to give me the digital voltage readings that I'm looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 05:03 PM

Fortunately I did not have this problem when I installed mine last month. However, I bought mine from Lamonster Garage and his installation video warns that this situation might occur. The solution is simply to remove the top of the three magnets, flip it over, and reinstall. This will change the polarity that is pegging your gauge. BTW I also have a 2012 RT. Saves you the cost of new gauges.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirrad View Post
Sorry, I may not have been clear with my original post regarding the magnetism affecting the temp gauge.

The issue that I saw was with with the round analog temp gauge on the right side of the dash. When I installed the magnetic side mirror mount, it caused this gauge to not read correctly. This was confirmed by a service tech using BUDS at the Can-Am Dealer. It caused the gauge to show a much higher temp than the actual temp. The needle was right at the bottom of the high temp caution area near the top of the gauge.

I was hoping to find a 52mm/2" round digital readout coolant temp gauge to replace OEM analog coolant temp gauge that I could mount in the same location on the right side of the dash. I was hoping that the one I found on Amazon (see link in original post) would work, but I'm not sure if it is compatible, and if so, how exactly to install it.

BTW, I did find a 52mm/2" round digital readout voltage gauge to install on the left side of the dash where the original analog gas gauge is at. Still waiting for it to be delivered, but I'm not concerned with it working to give me the digital voltage readings that I'm looking for.
Take the top magnet off and flip around. They have a polarity and that should cure the problem.

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilWil View Post
Take the top magnet off and flip around. They have a polarity and that should cure the problem.
https://youtu.be/Wjp63q4xrdQ.
Thank you for the advice on flipping the magnet around, but I actually prefer the digital gas & temp readouts on the main center screen. Lamonster actually says that the digital gauges are more accurate, and therefore, recommends disconnecting the analog gauges. I have tried it for the last 3 weeks & like it much better. The gas gauge seems to be much for accurate and I'm getting more miles out of a tank of gas due to the improved accuracy.

So my plan now is to put a digital readout voltage gauge on the left side, where the analog gas gauge was located, and then on the right side, where the analog temp gauge was at, I will just buy a plastic plug to cover the hole. I may eventually put something on the right side, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would be happy to hear them.

I appreciate everyone's feedback & recommendations....Thank You!!!

Last edited by dirrad; 08-12-2020 at 07:44 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirrad View Post
and I'm getting more miles out of a tank of gas due to the improved accuracy.

So my plan now is to put a digital readout voltage gauge on the left side,
That first statement is a bit misleading.
You COULD have gotten the same number of miles with the old gauge.......once you realize how it was calibrated.......and with a little experimentation.

NOW.....that you are going farther before filling up, you are more likely to run OUT.
AND you are putting in more gallons at each fill.
Your gas mileage....miles per gallon.....has not changed because of the gauge.

Be sure that you get a digital readout that has at least one digit after the decimal point; 12.X
Two is even better: 12.xx
The tenths are important.

'17 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode