2020 RT Limited Whirring Noise - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

2020 RT Limited Whirring Noise

Anyone noticed a whirring noise, speed related it seems, on the 2020 RT Limited? May be motor or transmission, unsure. Local tech at dealer "all of them do that". Possible solution he said would putting on a tension belt idler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 06:45 PM

I just got mine 2 days ago, yep got the whurrrr sound you have. Was told that the transmission has straight cut gears. Once you get to 500 miles or so, it will seat, and the noise will go away... I had my dealer send a tech message to bpr, hope to hear something in a few days
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 06:03 PM

I have 1000 miles on my 2020 RTL and the whining hasn't gone away. My dealer can't seem to solve it. I hope you have better luck than me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020redrt View Post
I have 1000 miles on my 2020 RTL and the whining hasn't gone away. My dealer can't seem to solve it. I hope you have better luck than me!
You really need to GIVE UP and learn to live with it.

EVERY metric bike I have ever owned had a low whine coming from the transmission due to the "constant mesh" transmission and there is no "fix".
It might get a little less noticeable after your first oil change.

I don't really hear it on my '17 RT.....but I attribute that to my failing hearing.

'17 RT Limited
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:26 AM

I can't speak for the others on this forum, but the whining on my RT is not low. In fact, it's a very loud and extremely irritating high pitched sound that drowns out the sound of the engine, music, your thoughts between 45 and 60 (cruising speed). So, I won't be learning to live with it or give up anytime soon. Not at this price point! The Service Manager rode my RT and said "Wow that's loud, I've never heard that before". Unfortunately, Can Am was less than helpful in diagnosing the problem. The bike is scheduled for an extended diagnostic session at the end of the month. Stay tuned.

Gofastman1 - Really interested in the response you get from Can Am Techs. Please let us know. Thanks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020redrt View Post
In fact, it's a very loud and extremely irritating high pitched sound that drowns out the sound of the engine, music, your thoughts between 45 and 60 (cruising speed).
OK, so many things are a matter if degrees.
A slight whine is normal.
What you describe certainly is NOT.

Does it do it at that speed range no matter what gear you are in ? Should be able to do 50 in at least 3 gears.
Have you considered that it might be related to belt vibration ?
Or a dragging brake ??

Sometimes getting them to admit that there IS a problem is half the battle and it seems you are past that part.
Please let us know how this turns out.

'17 RT Limited
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 07:23 PM

Trans noise

My 2015 F3S with 6,000 miles has a belt tensioner and I still get a whirling noise in 5th gear that goes away at higher rpm's. No noise in 6th gear. Might wanna try ear plugs.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candoman View Post
My 2015 F3S with 6,000 miles has a belt tensioner and I still get a whirling noise in 5th gear that goes away at higher rpm's. No noise in 6th gear. Might wanna try ear plugs.
I have a 2019 RT Limited and no whinning noises. Quiet as a mouse, so unless they changed something other than body design for 2020 I can't imagine it is normal. This is my 5th CanAm only problem I ever had was a vibration between 68 and 72 mph and a belt tensioner took that away, but it was not a whinning noise.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL2020 View Post
Anyone noticed a whirring noise, speed related it seems, on the 2020 RT Limited? May be motor or transmission, unsure. Local tech at dealer "all of them do that". Possible solution he said would putting on a tension belt idler.
I picked mine up yesterday and was blown away/annoyed by the whine. It's not just a quiet mechanical whirring, it's loud, like the whining sound coming off the wheels of a jacked-up pickup with knobby tires. It changes with speed but not with rpms, which implies that it is generated downstream from the motor/input end of the transmission. Looking forward to hearing what others find out - if my hearing isn't permanently damaged.

Last edited by Paul McLaughlin; 06-12-2020 at 11:41 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe those newly re-designed Kenda tires aren't so good after all.

I strongly encourage you to complain to your dealer......and then to BRP if necessary.

'17 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode