Spyder Reliability? - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Spyder Reliability?

Just purchased a 2012 Can Am Spyder RT with 14,000 miles. It looks and runs fine. I was sorry to learn of Consumer Reports poor reliability scores for Can Am. Have other folks out there experienced Good/bad reliability andr what to expect, or watch out for? How long do they last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome.

The engines and transmissions are generally rock solid.
But some of the electronics and "accessories" are not so good.

My first one was a used '12 RT and it was in the shop more than out riding the first 6 months so I traded it in.
Nothing major, just a royal pain.

Others have theirs for years with almost no trouble at all.
Hope you are one of those !!

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:36 PM

I own two 2012 RT Limited’s both purchased this spring. Full season of riding with no issues. One has 31,000km the other 26,000km.

Reliability in my view has a lot to do with how things are maintained. If you keep up with the general maintenance, do regular oil changes, etc you should see many years of use. Rotax are very good motors with a proven track record.

One thing to be aware of is make sure you regularly check the engine oil. The 998’s do use a bit of oil and need to be topped up between oil changes. This is nothing to be concerned about, it’s just the way they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbrnr View Post
Reliability in my view has a lot to do with how things are maintained.
Alas, most of the things that have high failure rates on Spyders do NOT have any routine maintenance to do.
Parking brake motors.
Left bar paddle shifter assemblies.
Cam position sensors.
Rocks punched through the belt.

That's all I can remember at the moment.

'17 RT Limited
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:20 PM

I had a 2012 RT SM5 and a 2013 STS. The 12 had multiple oil leaks and the 13 had a clutch leak. The 12 spent a couple weeks in the shop and was repaired. We traded them both in on a 2015 RT SM6 (best one I have owned). My biggest suggestion is to buy used as they don't hold their value as you would hope.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:38 AM

I had a 2012 RTL that I traded in for a 2014. I had no problems with the 2012 (19K miles) and the 2014 (40K miles) suffered an air compressor failure. I believe that you will have fewer mechanical problems if you ride the bike frequently. It keeps moving parts moving and lubricated less chance of things drying our, corroding, etc.

To find out things to watch for go to Spyderlovers.com and search for 2012. Don't be frightened by all the problems detailed on the site. Again I and many of us have not suffered failures.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderweez View Post
I had a 2012 RT SM5 and a 2013 STS. The 12 had multiple oil leaks and the 13 had a clutch leak. The 12 spent a couple weeks in the shop and was repaired. We traded them both in on a 2015 RT SM6 (best one I have owned). My biggest suggestion is to buy used as they don't hold their value as you would hope.
Speaking of buying used...I have a beautiful pearl white 2015 RT for sale in NW Georgia. 8225 miles, See it at

nwga.craigslist.org/mcy/d/calhoun-can-am-spyder/6988936954.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode