BRP Connect Music app - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Flamewinger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Question BRP Connect Music app

So I just got a new 2019 RT Ltd and I am trying out the BRP Connect app. One thing I have found is that when you use the app to select songs you can't adjust the volume using the toggle switch without exiting the app and returning to the basic bluetooth music funtion on the RT. Does this sound right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

No, it doesn't sound "right" at all.
But it might be the way it IS.

I suggest that you complain long and loud.....to your dealer and directly to BRP.

It seems that they have been fixing some things like that.....but rather slowly.

Also....just because it is new doesn't necessarily mean that it has the latest software update.
Ask about that first.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:52 PM

I rarely use the BRP Connect any more on my 2019 RTL. I find it much easier and user friendly to just use the Bluetooth with Pandora, Serious XM or Amazon Music. I installed a dual USB port on the dash and a phone mount in the middle of the handlebars. I have unlimited data and keep the phone charged with a 12" USB chord. I also had the dealership move the BRP Connect plug to inside the glove box when they put the bike together. Why they put it in the frunk is beyond me.

Last edited by dermatat; 08-21-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:22 PM

I live in Arizona...and took a trip up to Wyoming this summer...going through AZ, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, NV, and back to AZ.

Most temps were well over 90F...and when I placed my phone in the "top Glove Box" on my 2018 F3-LTD, it overheated and shut down all open apps (read: BRP Connect!).

My LONG work-around was to get a LONG (6" USB) Cord and do the following:

1. Holding the phone in my hand, I opened the BRP Connect App and then opened Genius Maps.
2. Found the location I wanted to go to and opened it in Genius Maps.
3. Turned the key on, on my Spyder.
4. Plugged the cord into the Spyder, then the phone. (At this point, the map would appear on the dash.)
5. Carefully placed the phone (with cord attached) in my CamelBak drink bag, between the back wall and the full bag.
6. Put the CamelBak on my back.
7. Put on helmet and gloves.
8. Took off on my ride.

This was the only way I could ride in the 100F temps.

BUT, every time I stopped and turned off the ignition, I had to do the same thing.

I don't currently know of any insulated pouch that will even FIT in the top box of the F3....

Jodie in AZ
2018 Spyder F3 Limited (Black/Dark)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:42 AM

Order of operation

For the life of me I don't know why the app works this way. It seems that the product people at BRP that worked to develop the app said "let's make it difficult to use, proprietary, and not let people use their device like they do everyday. Besides, they don't need an easy functioning app to ride a $25K vehicle and operate the device at the same time.".

I installed the Ram X-Grip mount from Lamonster along with their Spyder Cuff, and USB extension. Using their 12" cable, my phone sits just to the right of the left stalk. I can reach the fingerprint reader on the back still as well.
To get things to work, the order of turning things on seems to be important.
1. Turn on the bike to get the BT up and running.
2. Once the radio comes on, turn on the Sena SMH10 on both helmets.
3. Plug in the phone (it will connect to the bike by itself) and BRP Connect will start.

Now you can manipulate anything you want. Had a nice 100+ mile ride with it and the phone doesn't get 'that hot' since air is passing over it.
But if you don't do it in the right order, either the BT won't work to the bike, or the Sena's won't connect, etc.
And of course they restrict you on the bike so you can't reconnect the BT while riding, but even if you come to a stop, it never reconnects unless you go back to the steps above.

Bob
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:53 AM

Garage
I'm surprised you're having problems as the 2019 operators manual comes with much better instructions that the '18's did.

Yes you have to get out of the BRP Connect to adjust the volume for anything you hear. When hearing music you can use the "Joystick" to adjust the volume. While out of BRP Connect, when you hear sounds (directions) from the GPS you can adjust the volume as you hear them. Using the joystick when in an app will affect the app and not the volume. So you have to be seeing the volume to make adjustments.

Basically I plug the phone in and have it unlocked. I turn the bike on and wait for the radio to get going. I can then switch to the BRP Connect and I have it set to open the music app first so I can get music going. Then push in and hold on the joystick to get out of the music app and then I can choose a GPS app. I like Sygic as it's easier to use and I can see it better. With the latest dash software (20.8) you don't have to have any apps open just have the phone unlocked. You can then open the apps using the joystick when you need them. make sure all devices are up to date as well as the apps. My phone sits on top of the dash as it's easier to get at when I stop. I've had no problem when I use it in the front cargo. It never got hot because I don't use a case.

I find it funny how many buy a new tech thing and complain because they can't figure it out. I play with it and try all the apps and learn how it all works and I'm finding it to be way better than the old way with a slow Garmin or having to take my gloves off to work the smartphone. I don't have the phone in a case as it makes the phone hot so on a hot day it will get too hot. Also, learning from other users helps and there are other Spyder forums with more users.
Grawolf likes this.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...3at90635PM.png
Susie - 2018 RT-Limited with 6200 miles so far . . .
'13 Spyder ST-L with 21k miles
'04 GL1800 with 91k miles
'97 GL1500 with 87k miles
'95 GL1500 with 102k miles
'89 GL1500 with 96k miles
'83 GL1100 with 117k miles
'81 Honda Silverwing with 36k miles
'79 Kaw 400LTD with 26k miles
GWRRA - 38 yrs - Life Member
AMA - 39 yrs
Just remember, if common sense is so common, why do few people have it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode