Looking for input on 2010 RT SE 5 - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Question Looking for input on 2010 RT SE 5

Going to check out a used 2010 Limited tomorrow. I believe it has around 12,000 miles and is in excellent condition. Asking price is just shy of $12k but the Kelly Blue book is only $8,850. Its a private seller, is it reasonable to pay that much over book value for an 8 year old Spyder? I saw a few on cycle trader that were in the $13-14k range from 2013 but I think they still have the small engine (998cc) so not sure what is gained by shaving a few years off.

I also would like some input on leg room and handling. I prefer rural scenic roads which are often pretty curvy but Iím not someone who scrapes pegs, more of a cruiser than a racer. But Iíve seen a fair number of people complaining about suspension and handling. Iím a heavyweight, in spec for the bike but closer to 2 up weight. Am I likely to be making a large investment in a sway bar and upgraded suspension to achieve good stability and a comfortable ride? Seems some say air pressure is able to correct most issues, others feel its suspension related (I believe it was springs).

Finally, Iím wondering about leg room. On my current ride I have extra long floorboards and highway pegs so I can shift leg position easily. Due to knee issues and neuropathy in both feet I need that flexibility. With all the front plastic on the bike, is there anyway to mount forward pegs or even to bring my feet to the front of the floorboards I expect to add? I guess that might mean a need to also extend the brake pedal.

Sorry for all the questions but have never ridden 3 wheeler and want to make best decision I can. Apparently I can get a 2019 brand new Can Am if I choose a Stryker instead of a Spyder but the weight limit is 100# lower, why Iím not sure. So that pretty much knocks out the Stryker for me as Iím in the low 400ís.

Oh, one more thing. I typically ride just for fun, maybe 2-3 hours max in a day, one up. So while its nice to have bells and whistles Iím more practically oriented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:37 AM

I would spend a little more and get the 1330 engine...you won't regret it. For me the air shock on rear works fine. Lamonster garage sells high way pegs to stretch out legs, works good. There's sway bars and shock upgrade available if needed(I don't need). I found the limited is most comfortable out of their lineup. A friend of mine bought a 2014 limited for $14,000 2 years ago with 12,000 miles. I have a 2016 limited and no issues so far. My Harley friends can't keep up with me on the Twisties in the mountains of NC. Enjoy!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:08 PM

At $12k I'd be doing a lot more research before purchasing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

$12k doesnít seem out of line for a limited, though there are aspects of the 2019 f3 and the Stryker that appeal to me. In particular the beefier suspension on the new models and improved frame and ability to easily adjust bars and footpegs. But if my wife wanted to join me she would probably enjoy the rtse5 bells and whistles. Being on a fixed (and somewhat low) income I donít want to finance a new ride so whatever I buy will be a cash sale that i can offset by selling my existing motorcycle. My test ride on the limited got pushed to Saturday, may try for a test ride at a dealer of the other two newer models tomorrow.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
Going to check out a used 2010 Limited tomorrow. I believe it has around 12,000 miles and is in excellent condition. Asking price is just shy of $12k but the Kelly Blue book is only $8,850. Its a private seller, is it reasonable to pay that much over book value for an 8 year old Spyder?
In my opinion, NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzleH View Post
At $12k I'd be doing a lot more research before purchasing.
I agree.

This is a tough situation when money is tight.
I suggest that you expand your search field some and look for classic trikes around that same year (2010).

And be realistic about what your present bike is worth in resale value.

Good luck.

'17 RT Limited
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 09:01 AM

Good luck with your search. If you're interested in a 2016 Spyder RT Limited in Virginia with new tires and recent service, please feel free to contact me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in