Larger Riders - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Question Larger Riders

Hi,
New here and I was wondering if I would have to change out the seat and bars on a RT? Im 6'3" 32" inseam and weigh around 290 lbs.

Currently still on 2 wheels but age is catching up, it will be a huge move for myself to go to a trike (although I did own a few rigs over the years and loved those)

My interest if did go to 3 wheels would be the RT LTD as it really reminds myself of a Goldwing (sort of)

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 11:47 AM

Pretty much impossible to say if YOU would be comfortable with the stock setup or not.
I suggest some "test sits".....and maybe even a preliminary test ride if you can arrange it.

The dynamics of 2 wheels in front is ENTIRELY different than having only 2 total.

And.....you can convert almost any bike to a classic trike for about $14K......which is about half the price of a new RTL.

Weigh your options carefully and don't automatically rule anything out too early in the process.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:08 PM

Hi, I am just about your same size. I spent a year trying to ride my 2012 RT with seat pads and adjusting my riding position without success. So in year two I got rid of the pegs and went to Rivco floorboards (CA020) which gave me an inch plus drop in my foot position plus the ability to add some stretch on longer rides. Then I found a local furniture upholstery store that also did motorcycle seats (just by asking friends for referrals and making some phone calls). Fortunately they were able to show me some photos of some other two wheelers they had worked on. I showed them the shape and selected the material and stitching...They took my stock seat off and carved it back almost 4 + inches and then built it back up. They added a little height to it and put a gel pad in the middle. They did have to cut out some of the formed plastic under the seat. I made sure we drew out where the seat would be cut and went back for another "seating fit" before they sewed the final cover. I have effectively sacrificed my rear seat (which is fine since my wife drives her own RT) and I destroyed the fit (by cutting the plastic pan) to put on a back support for the driver. But I love the ride and am very pleased with the fit. (Seat cost was about $550). I used to ride a Kawasaki Vulcan and I miss the "western saddle" fit but I feel so safe and stable on my RT I wouldn't even think about a two wheeler any more (my reactions and balance aren't good enough and I just don't heal quickly). Best of luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 04:24 PM

Ultimate Seats makes a seat called the long boy that gives the rider a couple more inches of space. Not to mention that it's the most comfortable seat I've had on any motorcycle. 😊
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:30 PM

Iím making a move from 2 wheels to 3 myself, pondering some of the same things on comfort,

There is also another option, which is converting your existing 2 wheeler to a reverse trike. A company named Endeavor will convert any bike to a front wheel trike for $9,600 plus shipping both ways. If you need reverse gear thats an additional charge.

I really like their conversions but if I can make a used Spyder work for me I can sell my existing 2 wheeler to cover the full cost of the Can Am, vs spending another $12k to keep my existing ride. Hopefully Iíll know by tomorrow which direction Iím going with things.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:23 AM

It is important to:

Have independent rear suspension on any trike conversion.

Have a local dealer who is familiar with the conversion hardware.
It is best to have a local dealer DO the conversion if possible.

A used Spyder that is cheap enough so that your "trade" is a wash, money wise, might NOT be such a good value in the end.

I think it is likely to have fewer maintenance headaches by keeping the bike you have now.

'17 RT Limited
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:43 AM

I escorial

Last summer I sold my GoldWing 1800 with great regret, yes the age catches up with my son who rolls with, yes the Spyder RT limeted who looks like him the most, a seat for big person I've never seen, you will have to change your seat.

FlyBoy2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by escorial View Post
Hi,
New here and I was wondering if I would have to change out the seat and bars on a RT? Im 6'3" 32" inseam and weigh around 290 lbs.

Currently still on 2 wheels but age is catching up, it will be a huge move for myself to go to a trike (although I did own a few rigs over the years and loved those)

My interest if did go to 3 wheels would be the RT LTD as it really reminds myself of a Goldwing (sort of)

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode