3Likes
  • 1 Post By My 990
  • 1 Post By Easy Rider
  • 1 Post By Easy Rider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Oil & Filter

Greetings fellas,

Being new to the Spyder world (2015 SE6) and a semi-competent garage mechanic, I like to change the oil and filter in my vehicles. The book recocmmends full synthetic oil. Having ridden bikes of all types and sizes since birth (75 years), I have had no problems using regulator motorcycle oil over the years. I will buy synthetic oil if necessary for the Spyder. What is the opinion of the forum regarding recommended oils for the Spyder?

Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 01:43 PM

Oil & Filter

We just got a 2015 F3. I have been using Rotella T6 for years in my motorcycles. I plan on using the same in the Spyder.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:42 PM

If you look at page 123 othe 2015 RT operator's guide you will see that BRP recommends a synthetic blend, 5W-40, and not full synthetic. That said you can use any motorcycle oil meeting the API service specifications listed. With your experience you should be aware that in motorcycle engines in which the engine and transmission share the same oil the oil viscosity sheard down fairly rapidly and then stabilizes. You also know that the only way you can know how the oil performs is through lab analysis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybros View Post
If you look at page 123 othe 2015 RT operator's guide you will see that BRP recommends a synthetic blend, 5W-40, and not full synthetic.
And you think that is significant.....why, exactly ??

It really is a minimum requirement; nothing wrong with "better".

And there is nothing wrong with a slight difference in the viscosity numbers either......like 10W40 for instance.

'17 RT Limited
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 02:39 PM

Oil in spyder

I SpyderTom

BRP have oil change kits that are complete with all the O-rings and gasket you need.
Me too I am a new spyderman, on my motorcycles I always did my interview myself.

FlyBoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil filter kit.jpg (20.1 KB, 5 views)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 01:13 PM

Kevin Shaw,

I also favor the Rotella T6, but recently Had a real good conversation with a rider friend that has worked in auto parts and oil lubricants for many years. His opinion is all about the "Zinc" being removed from the hwy oils through a Federal EPA or some Regulation. This Federal Regulation did not include Off Road Vehicles, Motorcycles, and a few other categories that I am not completely sure of and could include Rotella because of the diesel use, but being honest, don't really know.

The Motorcycle and ATV Oils still have the needed "Zinc" in them. That is why I have been using Oils like the Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki Blends that have been readily available to me and others.

NOW, having said that, it isn't meant to undermine anyone here on the forum, rather just offer more information that could help in some way. I'm thinking I will stick with the Major Motorcycle "Blends" and get as close to the 5-40 as I can get for my SC Region and average temperatures I operate my Spyder in...MD in SC
IgoFar2 likes this.

"Never choose Luck when Knowledge is the best option"

2009 CanAm RS SM5 Spyder
Red & Black
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 990 View Post
I'm thinking I will stick with the Major Motorcycle "Blends" and get as close to the 5-40 as I can get for my SC Region and average temperatures I operate my Spyder in...MD in SC
In a low to moderate mileage usage and at low to moderate speeds (not racing) the presence or absence of zinc in the formula probably makes near to zero difference.

If you are so sensitive about that, why do you tend toward "blends" ??
I think that is a ploy to increase profits on the oil sales.
Why not use an all synthetic product ??

I don't think I have ever seen any source that claims a "blend" is any better at anything than a pure synthetic.
My 990 likes this.

'17 RT Limited
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 09:31 PM

"I don't think I have ever seen any source that claims a "blend" is any better at anything than a pure synthetic."

Good Observations, Easy Rider. I guess I enjoyed the conversation with my buddy and and don't look at it like being sensitive. The "Blends" just feel like the right thing to do. But keep in mind I'm new to the Spyder and when it is time to service, I probably will use the factory oil if a blend is available and if not, probably use what they do have and just keep it simple until I can have a more informed opinion on the needs of the Spyder...MD in SC

"Never choose Luck when Knowledge is the best option"

2009 CanAm RS SM5 Spyder
Red & Black
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

I have recently been told that BRP offers two "kits"; one with blend oil and one with straight synthetic.
I have not verified that though.

And knowing their pricing philosophy on other things, the synthetic option likely would carry a healthy price increase.
My 990 likes this.

'17 RT Limited
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 07:48 PM

Garage
CanAm XPS Full-synthetic 4 Stroke - 0W40
CanAm XPS Synthetic Blend 4 Stroke - 5W40

I prefer Full synthetic in all my vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode