High heat problem - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

High heat problem

I have a 2011 Spyder RT and the heat vent coming out on the lower right side is very uncomfortable. Any known cures for this? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 01:40 PM

On my 2011 RT Ltd my right foot gets hot. Once in traffic in 105 degree weather, the sole on my shoe actually delaminated. I wish that I had taken a picture...

That said, wearing a proper boot with long pants is a good start. There are some after market parts that help to redirect the heat away from your foot. I haven't tried any of those yet.

Dave
'11 RT Ltd.
crazy enough to do a Saddle Sore 1000
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 07:38 AM

I think this came to a head in 2013 and BRP made some parts to help.
Check with a dealer......or maybe somebody here can offer more details.

'17 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:43 PM

I had same problem and did 3 things:
1. Remove the black plastic deflector plate under the bike on the right side right beside the foot peg. This will improve heat dissipation.
2. Install a lower right side block off plate. This will reroute the air out the top hole and under the bike from removing the plate above. This will however add more heat to your shin thigh area. This can be solved with #3.
3. Install a set of Baker air wings to flush away the heat coming out the top vent hole.

Message me if you want more info.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 04:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkid66 View Post
I have a 2011 Spyder RT and the heat vent coming out on the lower right side is very uncomfortable. Any known cures for this? Thanks in advance.
You probably need to replace the Y gaskets. These are silicone metal mesh rings that seal where the headers fit into the catylitic converter. I had serious heat and when I replaced mine, the problem was fixed.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...3at90635PM.png
Susie - 2018 RT-Limited with 6200 miles so far . . .
'13 Spyder ST-L with 21k miles
'04 GL1800 with 91k miles
'97 GL1500 with 87k miles
'95 GL1500 with 102k miles
'89 GL1500 with 96k miles
'83 GL1100 with 117k miles
'81 Honda Silverwing with 36k miles
'79 Kaw 400LTD with 26k miles
GWRRA - 38 yrs - Life Member
AMA - 39 yrs
Just remember, if common sense is so common, why do few people have it?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:24 PM

BRP has been known to, on a case by case basis, provide owners with older RT's the fix for the 2013 RT heat recall. This is a "goodwill" gesture on their part. It involves the "scoops" and some different interior (under the "Tupperware") panels. Your best bet is to contact BRP at [email protected]. No guarantee that they will do it, but it has been known to happen. I fitted the 2014 right side grill to my 2013 RTL, which has a block off plate where the radiator fan blows the hot air out. That, along with the scoops and new interior panels solved my heat problems. The part # is 705004803, item #312. Don't know for sure if it will fit older models, but at $19.95 it might be worth a try. You can look it up on the parts fiche for 2014 RT's. Hope the Email link works.

2013 Pearl White RT Limited SE5 & RT622 Trailer

Last edited by oldguyinCT; 05-25-2018 at 06:31 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 05:57 AM

They never recognized the 2011 that this person has as having a heat problem. I know several people that bought the kit themselves and it does help with the earlier models.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazunni View Post
They never recognized the 2011 that this person has as having a heat problem. I know several people that bought the kit themselves and it does help with the earlier models.
You are correct that BRP never formally recognized heat problems prior to the 2013 RT's, but as I stated, some owners of older RT's were able to have the retrofit done as a "goodwill" gesture. By BRP. Again, this was on a case by case basis, and there was no rhyme or reason as to why BRP would say yes or no to the request. And, as you stated,many folks just bought the kit and did the work themselves.

2013 Pearl White RT Limited SE5 & RT622 Trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode