Help - wife's not happy - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Help - wife's not happy

I'm hoping someone can give me some tips. My wife has ridden motorcycles for a few years but had an elbow issue last year and couldn't work a clutch. We discussed a Spyder then early Nov we were offered a brand new RT LIMITED at a good price due to a family friends death. I bought it and put it away for the winter. Then we had an offer we couldn't refuse on the wife's motorcycle in March so we sold it. Now we have the Spyder on the road and my wife is just not getting along with it at all. We understand it's riding characteristics are nothing like a motorcycle but she just isn't comfortable on it and wants to go back to a bike. The Maine roads get very rough because of the harsh winters and it really makes the machine feel unsettled. I rode it and understand what she is dealing with. We've snowmobiled so we understand the different riding style needed but she just isn't happy. She's had elbow surgery this winter so that should be all set now as far as a clutch goes.
So is there any tips or tricks you can suggest that might change her mind on this. I hate to sell it after only 200 miles but if that's what it takes to get her back on the road with me then it will have to go. She's small and late 40's so there is no throwing this thing around, more like it's throwing her around.
Thanks in advance.
Cliff

Last edited by MAINEGT; 05-11-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 06:46 AM

Sorry to hear that. I left two wheels two years ago after 50 years of riding. Sold my HD Street Glide and bought a Spyder RT, it took me about 3 hundred miles to adjust to three wheels. I live in the mountains of NC so we have plenty of back roads with tons of sharp curves and I get pretty agressive around them, leave my 2 wheel friend behind. She should find the Spyder very stable and forgiving. The critical thing is proper tire pressure and a good accurate front end alignment. The other thing I found myself doing was over correcting turns at speed ie; jerking the bars to fast in and out of turns instead of nice smooth turns. If I turn left I learned to push right side of bar not pull/push the bars, made a big difference in riding style. I and my wife really like the Spyder mow and would be hard pressed to go back. Enjoy the ride.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
JSRFrench and jimmyhougland like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice spydercruza. Unfortunately yesterday I think she made up her mine. 168 miles on it and its going up for sale. Honestly I think the handling characteristics just make her too uneasy to enjoy riding it on our rough roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Too bad.

There are some things that can be done to improve the situation.......and "time in the seat" is the biggest one.
Less than 200 miles is not NEARLY enough.

BUT....the handling will never be the same (or as good in my opinion) and once she has made up her mind it's all over.

Too bad you are so far north.
I have a REALLY nice Vulcan 900 for sale.

'17 RT Limited
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:06 AM

It does take seat time to learn to go with the flow and not fight with your Spyder. It took me 250 miles at least.

Also playing with the tire pressure helped settle down some of the discomfort while riding. I was getting lots of shimmy on the long sweeping turns. I found that raising the front tire pressure up from the 14PSI as prepared by the dealer to 18PSI which is listed as the top of the recommended pressure made a huge difference. So being slightly crazy, I gave 20PSI a try. It made it even better, however 22PSI almost took all of the steering ability away.

I check the air pressure at least every month and often have to add a pound or two. I run 28PSI in the rear tire and have good wear at 14,000 miles, just reached the wear bars.
jimmyhougland likes this.

Dave
'11 RT Ltd.
crazy enough to do a Saddle Sore 1000
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 01:09 PM

I just switched from two wheel to three wheels on Saturday and so happy I did. In my opinion a 1330 cx 3 stroke engine handles better than the 990cc plus there’s also power steering! A must for me. Now I feel like I’m driving a sports car and having the time of my life.

After twenty seven years of riding two wheels. Gave up my Wing and downsized to a CTX 1300 for two years but still find it just to hard after a couple of injuries to handle a 700 pound two wheel bike any longer. I am so happy I did but ai did do a few YouTube videos from Can Am prior to riding three wheels. I find it easier to start your lean before the turn and then ease your handle barsinto the turn...
Has your wife considered a three wheel safety course or gone on the Can Am site for videos on what to expect?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 06:35 AM

Wifes Not Happy

Boy, talk about good advice, if i only knew about you guys April 2017, that being said I rode bikes for 55 yrs. Hondas , Jawas, Kawasaki dirt bikes,and a Goldwing, due to injuries, riding 2 wheels became uncomfortable, switched to Can Am Spyder ( EVA ) took a long time , 6 months to quit trying to ride 2 wheels style while riding my Spyder. Now I would not trade it for 2 wheels , my wife is more comfortable on the Spyder as a passenger than on my old Wing.
Good things take time, GIVE IT A CHANCE,

Grey Hawk
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:21 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to fred_mor@msn.com
MAINEGT, I believe your wife is not being realistic with the time needed to appreciate the CAN AM...200 miles is not enough riding to really determine if the CAN AM is good or not good enough. My wife had a Harley Super Glide and traded it for a CAN AM Spyder RSS and it took her approximately 3 months to really appreciate the 3 wheels. Today she doesn't want to even think about a 2 wheel bike. I suggest you make a real deal with your wife and that is to tell her to ride the CAN AM for 3 months, but not to keep it for 3 months in the garage, but to ride it for 3 months...go for long distance rides every weekend and use it as much as possible for the 3 months then after a few thousand miles decide to sell or keep it. After that time I'm sure she will realize the CAN AM is not as bad as she believed it was.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 09:30 PM

Hmm, maybe it's time to trade in the wife? It worked for me ...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2020, 11:45 AM

Hi there. I do not regret to pay 5 thousand dollars and more for beautiful and high-quality lingerie.

(Shameless plug for a web site deleted by moderator.)

Last edited by Easy Rider; 12-20-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode