Strong Fuel Odor/Stumble - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Strong Fuel Odor/Stumble

While riding yesterday I noticed a strong smell of fuel. I haven't noticed this before. My husband could smell it behind me as well. He had filled it a few days before to just below full and it is now at a 1/2 tank after only about 50 miles. Much sooner to get to 1/2 tank than previously. When we got home I shut it off and you could really smell the fumes. We couldn't find any leaks and after it sat for a while the smell was gone.

Also during the ride there were a couple of times when the Spyder felt like it was running out of gas. It felt like my previous motorcycles when they needed to have the fuel petcock switched over to reserve. My husband took it for a short ride and noticed the smell but no stumbles for him.

I have the 600 maintenance coming up so it this is periodic I will wait otherwise it will go back before that time.

Any thoughts on items to check are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:43 AM

Did you fill the bike full then park it? I have heard that a full tank will vent liquid gas into the vapor recovery system instead of just vapors if the tank is too full.

I avoid filling up and parking for this reason. What I understand is that once the liquid gas evaporates from the vapor recovery system, the problem will go away.

But you may have a different problem. If the fuel smell is very strong, I would not part near a water heater!

Dave
'11 RT Ltd.
crazy enough to do a Saddle Sore 1000
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

No. My husband had put gas in it for me (really just so he could have an excuse to take it for a ride!) and had ridden it before Sunday. He did say he thought he could smell gas when he came back from filling it the first time but didn't think too much of it (maybe he had a little splash during filling, etc).

He took it out last night to fill it up again and then test it (uh huh, wink, wink) while I was out visiting my mom. No more fuel smell. He is wondering if there is anyway he could have not had the cap on correctly even though he turned it until it clicked. I'll see (smell?) what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 PM

there have been a couple of postings of Spyders catching fire. Be careful and maybe a trip to the dealer is in order.

I get some gas smell after going on a ride. Usually lasts for about 60 minutes after parking.

Dave
'11 RT Ltd.
crazy enough to do a Saddle Sore 1000
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 PM

Fuel smell

Happened twice to me before I realized that I wasn't tightening the cap enough. I tighten it now until it "clicks" a couple times. Solved my fuel smell problem. Hope that's all it is for you.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Update - dropped off the RTS Saturday for the 600 mile maintenance/check up and reported the sticky speedo and gas fumes. The service manager stated there is a "recall" (likely a service bulletin in reality) for that issue. Something about re-routing lines. I'll post the details once they are done.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 AM

I've been having smell problems also , don't make any difference fuel level is but really noticable in town traffic , lot of starting and stopping and low speeds . I get it after highway riding also but just for a short time after turning the engine off. On the list to be dealer checked. Getting nauseous from fuel smells isn't fun.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 04:55 PM

Its happened to me twice. when the tank gets to half full after a highway and country run. Each time included a fill up prior to the runs.
I.m guessing it's the vapor recovery system.

2011 Spyder RT-se Sm5 silver
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fathomsdown View Post
Its happened to me twice. when the tank gets to half full after a highway and country run. Each time included a fill up prior to the runs.
I.m guessing it's the vapor recovery system.
I'm seriously looking at a Spyder RT but was telling my friend who is an insurance adjust and he said there is a real safety problem with Spyders catching on fire. Has there been any recalls about this?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Not sure about a real problem with that or not. Here is the outcome of my trip to the dealer for the 600 mile check up. There was a service bulletin performed for loose clamp on one of the lines. He said mine didn't appear to be loose but they loosened it up and retightened it anyway. He did state that I or my husband may have over filled it while getting used to how to do that. It may take a while for any fuel in the canister to work its way out. They didn't tear that deep into the machine to get to the canister and I have no idea where it is.

I am monitoring it but I can say both myself and my husband both think it is better now. I am very careful to not over fill it and I think I have the right amount of nozzle insertion now. Before he said he could smell fuel when riding his bike behind me. In our last 3 or 4 rides he has stated he can longer smell anything.

Like I said I will be super careful not to over fill it.....maybe even short fill it to 3/4 to let the fuel, if any, work its way out of the canister.

Still love the Spyder regardless. Having a blast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode