Strong Fuel Odor/Stumble - Page 2 - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Hello everyone. I came across this thread and thought I would post my experience over the past 3 months. I will try and make a long story short here. I bought a 2011 RT-S back in July and have had the leaking gas, transmission shifting issues, and squealing belt going on since the day I bought it. The gas smell you guys are smelling is most likely gas coming out of the overflow canister. There is a black tube underneath the bike where the gas is coming out on mine. It is a safety hazard like you cant imagine. My dealer has been working with BRP for 3 months now and cant resolve the issue. My bike has been in the service department longer than it has been at my house. The dealer is doing everything they can to try and fix it but BRP has no idea what to tell them to do. I am pretty ticked off that BRP will not recall this bike but yet simply just let me keep making my monthly payments and not even have a bike to ride. This is my first experience with BRP and I am not liking it one bit. Anyway, I hope this information will help. If anyone has any questions please feel free to message me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Mine is definitely better now but I am also very careful to not over fill it. If you over fill it will cause fuel to enter the canister. It will take a while for it to work itself out of there. No other issues. Over 1000 miles on it now.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 10:28 AM

How much is overfill?

I have a Spyder 2011 RT -ES5. i have the same fume release problem. On a hot day, I can smell during my ride. When I come home, I have to wait for about one hour cooldown before I can park it in the garage, otherwise it stinks up the garage real bad with fumes. I am concerned about fire issues from a spark. I have been complaining at the dealership to no avail. They say that I must be overfilling it. Ok, here's the question. How much is overfillin the gas tank. Why is there no warning on the gas tank. Shouldn't there be line or something on/in the gas tank that let's us know not to fill above this mark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 12:22 PM

A practice that I have developed over the years is to not fill up my bikes before heading home. In fact, I will not fill up with 20 miles of ending a ride. They way, I burn off about a 1/2 gallon and don't have problems with the fuel expanding and getting into the vapor canister.

When filling up my '11 RT Ltd, I fill it up to about 1 inch from the bottom of the neck of the filler spout.

I have had the fuel smell only 1 time, that was when I put it away with a full tank.

Dave
'11 RT Ltd.
crazy enough to do a Saddle Sore 1000
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a Spyder 2011 RT -ES5. i have the same fume release problem. On a hot day, I can smell during my ride. When I come home, I have to wait for about one hour cooldown before I can park it in the garage, otherwise it stinks up the garage real bad with fumes. I am concerned about fire issues from a spark. I have been complaining at the dealership to no avail. They say that I must be overfilling it. Ok, here's the question. How much is overfillin the gas tank. Why is there no warning on the gas tank. Shouldn't there be line or something on/in the gas tank that let's us know not to fill above this mark?
My bike has never stopped leaking gas from the black hose underneath. I just purchased a 2012 RT and this one is doing the exact same thing. I dont get it.... Do all the RTs leak gas from this overflow hose???
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 09:13 AM

There should never be raw fuel dripping from the bike. The first thought that comes to mind is the tank was overfilled, or sat in the sun with a full tank. That will cause fuel to go into the vapor system and drip out. It will sometimes take a while for all of the fuel to purge from the vapor system.

As I have stated above, never fill up the tank all the way unless you are going to ride enough to burn some of the fuel off. Heat will cause the fuel expand and enter the vapor system which will lead to fuel dripping and strong vapor smell.

Also when filling up, don't try and top off the fuel tank too much.

Dave
'11 RT Ltd.
crazy enough to do a Saddle Sore 1000
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 11:15 AM

fuel drips at fill up

I have a 2015 rt standers gears, every time i fill the tank it drips out underneath, as soon as i start it guit's leaking. Turn it off, starts again even with cap off and about 1 in. below top.

I will take apart later and find out why. It should never leak light this, its dangerous.
Plus the wife cant stand the odor. lol.

van
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 05:13 AM

By pass the fuel canister. Helped me. Simple and easy to do. I also think my spyder runs better.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtskate View Post
While riding yesterday I noticed a strong smell of fuel. I haven't noticed this before. My husband could smell it behind me as well. He had filled it a few days before to just below full and it is now at a 1/2 tank after only about 50 miles. Much sooner to get to 1/2 tank than previously. When we got home I shut it off and you could really smell the fumes. We couldn't find any leaks and after it sat for a while the smell was gone.

Also during the ride there were a couple of times when the Spyder felt like it was running out of gas. It felt like my previous motorcycles when they needed to have the fuel petcock switched over to reserve. My husband took it for a short ride and noticed the smell but no stumbles for him.

I have the 600 maintenance coming up so it this is periodic I will wait otherwise it will go back before that time.

Any thoughts on items to check are appreciated.
I purchased a 2020 RT in April. I too have the issue of fuel smell. It normally happens after a fill up and i'm riding in a bit of a stop and go area, or if I am riding in a hilly area with partial tank. I am very careful to not overfill the tank. During the summer it was actually finding its way out in the cap area and pooling just below the gas cap. The dealer replaced the gas cap but this didn't resolve the issue. BRP doesn't have an answer so I am to ride it and monitor and record when this happens. During the past couple of weeks I have noticed a fuel smell but nothing spilling in the cap area. The fuel smell continues through pretty much the entire tank of gas not just with the tank full.

I will report this to the dealer this week and see what they have to say.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer View Post
I will report this to the dealer this week and see what they have to say.
You should report this to BRP......and then LEAVE the machine in the shop until they FIND and FIX the problem.
You have a warranty. USE it.

This could be a safety hazard.....which you might want to report to the Federal regulators too: NHTSA or NTSB

Might also want to look into the Lemon Laws in your state.
Don't let them put the burden of this problem off on YOU.

'17 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode