2008 SM5 RS Starter relay failure?? - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

2008 SM5 RS Starter relay failure??

Went to start the Spyder after a lengthy rest. Only 8K miles ion this machine. Always on battery tender, fresh fuel, checked voltage (12.8), etc. Key on, fuel pump cycles, safety message displays. Push M button, hit starter. Fuel pump runs, starter DOESN'T make a sound, fuel pump stops, safety message displays all over again. Everything checkable checks normal electrically. Again, starter doesn't click, turn, nothing.

I'm thinking starter relay, but need to know:

Is this a common problem?

Where is the starter relay so I can check/replace?

And, of course, if my diagnosis is wrong, what do I check next?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

You need to check the main battery cable connections....at BOTH ends and then watch the battery voltage as you push the start button.

It sounds like the voltage is disappearing when it tries to start.....and then comes back with a lighter load.
Sometimes that it the battery itself failing under load.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Will do.

I did check horn and halogen driving lights, which draw fairly heavily. Both functioning normally, but recognize that the starter draws much more juice. I guess I could also test if battery can't handle heavy draw by putting jumper cables on from a known good battery. If battery was just "weak" I believe I'd at least hear the starting relay or solenoid click or make some noise. This is dead silent except for the sound of the fuel pump running when starter button is pushed. Then after 2-3 seconds, fuel pump shuts off and display reverts to safety message. Weird...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Yes you need to do some additional testing.
I always thought that the fuel pump "primed" before the start button is hit......but not sure of that because I can't hear mine.

'17 RT Limited
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:00 PM

I'm no mechanic but last summer I was having a similar problem with my 2012 RT SM5. I was sitting in a parking lot over 100 miles from home. My friend suggested I wiggle the start button before pressing it . I did just that (pretty aggressively) and I got a start out of it. When I got home I sprayed the switch with WD40---a little hesitantly I might add. No problem since. Sometimes simple is good
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
When I got home I sprayed the switch with WD40---a little hesitantly I might add. No problem since. Sometimes simple is good
WD40 has some good solvents in it.

BUT it also leaves a sticky film. That is what it is designed to do.....and why it is really NOT recommended for switches.

If you MUST use it for that, it should be followed in a few days by a flush with rubbing alcohol and then be blown out.

'17 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode