Grade of Gas - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Grade of Gas

I just wanted to poll Spyder Owners; which grade of gas do you use in your Spyder? Any additives??
Thanks..
Wenal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:09 PM

You'll get a lot of different answers for this. The manual states 90 for the RT. I typically do premium with occasional midgrade fill ups. I use Startron.

-Christina

2012 Can-Am RT-S - Blue!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Super Moderators

you can use any grade of gas BUT it's best to use 90-92 octane in the city. this is because of all the stopping and starting

but you can use anything if you are doing any long trips. I use a little of everything from 87-91, I also use a good fuel injector cleaner while we are on the road. I put some in every three days or so just because of not being 100% sure of the gas quality. So far on this trip we have been lucky and used mainly Chevron or Shell gas

2011 RT Ltd, ISCI floorboards/cruiser boards and LED nut with custom Halo kit and custom Fusion power plant, 50 SPF sunblock and cheap sunglass, total Grfx on bike and matching trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 AM

They'll run on ANY grade just fine; follow the manual if you want optimum performance from your bike.
For the record; I'll run 93 at every opportunity. The swill that they sell up here is 10% ethanol...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Out with the old; In with the WOO-HOO!!
2010 RT A&C Gone; but not forgotten!
2014 RT Limited
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 05:38 PM

I run 89 midgrade and squirt about 2 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in before filling the tank.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Super Moderators

oil?

ummmm I would rethink that, but to be honest I am not sure what that stuff is

but 91+ in the city is the best you can for your engine anything less and you are asking for trouble

2011 RT Ltd, ISCI floorboards/cruiser boards and LED nut with custom Halo kit and custom Fusion power plant, 50 SPF sunblock and cheap sunglass, total Grfx on bike and matching trailer
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 06:26 AM

IF you can find it; try a dosage of fuel that doesn't have ethanol in it...
I was fortunate enough to get some at SpyderFest; a 10% jump in fuel economy!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
funflyingguy likes this.

Out with the old; In with the WOO-HOO!!
2010 RT A&C Gone; but not forgotten!
2014 RT Limited
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 01:12 AM

Here in the UK we are fortunate in having a minimum RON rating of 97 at the pumps which is equal to the US octane rating of 92-93.
But the big downfall is that it costs the equivalent of $6.40 per gallon and this is the lowest price its been in 6 months.
One of the UK fuel companies has just brought out a new fuel called Nitro+ which is US octane 95 which contains more friction modifiers than you can shake a stick at, if you believe what they say, the engine will wear less when running than when turned off.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 AM

In EU member countries the standard grade is an RON rating of 95, which is mid-grade. Bombardier recommends use of 95 or higher and does not recommend to use lower octane ratings - lower values are fading from the European market anyway due to a lack of need. In many places, you can get octane ratings (RON) of 98 and in some cases up to 102.. The Spyder engine won't ask for this and a theoretically improved fuel mileage from 98/102 grade fuel must be purchased for a lot of money.
I have owned my Spyder since summer 2012 now and never used anything different than 95 rated 10% ethanol fuel. Economy figures are the same as on other Spyders being run on 95 at 5% ethanol as well as on Spyders run on 98 grade fuel. Same results on my business car; it's a Toyota Prius doing 25k miles per year. And same as on my 1970 Austin.

I never add any additives and will continue to do so until I have some conclusive evidence that they do something positive that I cannot have from standard fuel. Until then I consider them a waste of money, keeping in mind that motor vehicles are always designed and validated to run on any fuel complying to national or international standards.

Just my two pence ;-)

OlliMK
funflyingguy likes this.

Yours,
OlliMK

-------------------------------------------------
There were times when sex was safe and racing was dangerous
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 12:24 PM

Garage
hi all! i concur...

89 is the middle grade in the US typically. 87 is regular. 93 is usually hard to find. most stations in ohio have 2 to 3 grades: 87, likely 89 and some with 91 or 92.

up to 10% alcohol is acceptable for most everyday engines these days. system components wont degrade unless the components are 30 / 40 years old or older.
no alcohol will produce better gas mileage, although light throttle usage helps even more!

wont use additives either unless there is a verified study that available gasolines are inadequate...

city driving (stop and go driving...) will almost always produce lower gas mileage, comparable to high sustained speeds. moderate, steady speeds produce the best overall gas mileages...

my 2 cents worth also !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode