Handling question - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Handling question

I don't have a spyder yet but have test rode one for just a few miles. Still on 2 wheels for a while yet. I have seen youtube postings mentioning that they seem to jerk left and right due to road irregularity. That was my experience also. Is that true all the time? Was it just my inexperience? Does laser alignment help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

The main cause of that "feeling" is the different geometry from a 2 wheel ride........and time in the seat will help a LOT.
A laser alignment will help some.
But a different set of tires will help a LOT more.
The OEM Kenda tires are junk.

It took me about 6 months to get comfortable on my RT.
Your body, sometimes referred to as "muscle memory", still thinks it is on 2 wheels but the automatic stuff that you were doing subconsciously doesn't work anymore. It takes a while to "unlearn" that. For some, longer than others.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2020, 12:07 PM

I have had my Spyder for over 5 yrs, I still also ride a 2 wheeler (BMW K1200).
I noticed the same twitchiness when I first got the Spyder, and while at a Spyder Rally I got the Laser alignment. WOW ! it was a totally different beast ! It tracks true and straight, no wandering no twitchiness.
Take your time getting used to the Spyder, spend some time learning how to ride it on quiet roads, and stay OFF the curvy roads for a while. If you continue to ride a 2 wheeler, you have to recalibrate the brain to steer it..... I go back and forth btwn my BMW and Spyder, and the first two turns getting out of the neighborhood gets me re-synced . The Spyder is a blast to ride, and very safe with the traction and brake control systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salemons View Post
I don't have a spyder yet but have test rode one for just a few miles. Still on 2 wheels for a while yet. I have seen youtube postings mentioning that they seem to jerk left and right due to road irregularity. That was my experience also. Is that true all the time? Was it just my inexperience? Does laser alignment help?
Theres two parts to you question.

The last point about Laser alignment - if the person doing the alignment knows what they are doing and follows all the steps involved and doesn't cut corners, then the outcome is a much better behaved bike. A manual vs laser becomes one of choice, I've had good and bad outcomes from both if the guy doesnt follow the process from begining to end. The Factory seems to have a Work Experience Kid doing the alignments assuming they do it at all, and delaerships dont alway check the alignment.

The 1st point abuot jerking because they have two front wheels that want to follow the contours of the road surface and the handlebars transmit that to the rider, they can appear to "rock from side to side". Better suspension helps get rid of this in general comuting and highway use. But take a trip along a country road where they seem to have felled the trees to make way for the road, and just tarred over the top of them creating lots of big dips and humps, then yes they will tilt from side to side - a lot like a large SUV with the balloon tyres. Just like a fwd/suv you learn that when it seems like its going left or righ, it stays on track whic initially feels unnerving.

Once someone sets them up properly (and we've learnt dealerships arent all equal here) and you learn how to ride them, the behaviour you describe is less apparent.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkitmgr View Post
A manual vs laser becomes one of choice, I've had good and bad outcomes from both if the guy doesnt follow the process from begining to end.
It is pretty much impossible to get a "good" alignment if they follow the BRP recommendation because the spec's are wrong.

The setting needs to be a little different. How you get to that point doesn't really matter.......but the laser alignment equipment states the better setting and makes it much easier to get there.

'17 RT Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode