2008 Spyder SE5 with 288km on board - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sergiu1.ovanez

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

2008 Spyder SE5 with 288km on board

Hello,

I found it in a heated garage, new condition, 288km, owner left the country many years ago and he left it...

Anyway I have some questions regarding the 3 recalls for this bike:

1 - gear oil cover must be change, I have done it, in order to get more oil to the gear case.

2 - canister vent hose must be change, IS THERE ANY RISC ON THIS?, I did not do it !

3 - for DPS safety, ECM software update must be done? What happens if I don t do it?

Please help me on this, this is my firs bike, I am a yamy jetski man...thx. Sorry for my bad English...

Sergiu
RazzleH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 04:02 PM

Going to throw this out there, I would highly suggest changing tires to your list.

Last edited by Klbrnr; 12-15-2019 at 03:48 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 04:31 AM

Hi Sergiu,

Definitely get the ECM update done. It fixes an issue where the steering slowly "freezes" while you are moving. It only happened to me once, while riding slowly, and you definitely wouldn't want it to happen while going fast. The steering "freezes" solid and you have no control.
Another thing to do is change the brake fluid. Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and that moisture will then start corroding the brake components. Changing the fluid is easy, but quite tricky to do without triggering a "brake failure" message that you need the dealer to reset. You can certainly try to do it yourself and then get the dealer to reset the message while doing the ECM update if it doesn't work out. Or save yourself the hassle and just get the dealer to do it. It will cost $x00 to get the brake fluid changed as it is time consuming.

Good Luck,
Gerard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Thx Gerard,

I have a recall on my DPS so I have to change it, BRP told me it will be free of charge. The sofwer update must be done only after the dps is changed.

I will change the brake fluid myself if you have the procedure please send it to me.

Sergiu
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiu1.ovanez View Post
I will change the brake fluid myself if you have the procedure please send it to me.
The Spyders have electronic ABS/stability control and changing the brake fluid can be tricky, especially if you have never done an ABS system before.
Seems like I remember that a BUDS computer is required to do it right.

'17 RT Limited
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Yes you are right, I need to reset the ABS alarm after the change, my friend has an aftermarket BUDS for all BRD products.

IMPORTANT: When it happened to you, the steering issue, did you change the DPS? Or only the software update?

BRP recall said I need to do the change...

Sergiu
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

It did NOT happen to me.
Don't think I said that it did.

P.S. Resetting the computer is not the only difference in proper fluid replacement and bleeding with an ABS system.

'17 RT Limited
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:09 AM

Sergiu, would you happen to know the part number of your DPS unit that was recalled? It could be a huge help to me if you do. I’m glad that you’re unit was recalled, that saved you a lot of money. Thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:41 PM

Not sure if this helps, but when my DPS was done the service document had the following information on it

Service Required:
CUSTOMER REQUESTS COMPLETE DPS RECALL 2010-0007

Service Performed:
PERFORMED BULLETIN 2010-7. TEST RODE GOOD

Item Number:
BR709400963

Item Description:
DIRECTIO ASSIS*POWER STEERING - 4

Good Luck,
Gerard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode