2008 Spyder - dealer didn't fix - frustrating - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Angry 2008 Spyder - dealer didn't fix - frustrating

My 2008 started after storage, but ran a bit rough - choking - so I took it to the dealer. I thought maybe the gas and I'd change the fuel filter - well after having the bike for almost five weeks he changed the battery and fuel pump (expense). It was still not running right - sitting in gear it's just rough almost like bad gas - he didn't check the vacuum hoses or spark plugs.....well now I towed it back home and need a honest mechanic. I don't mind paying, but not for BS. Also, if ya don't know at the dealer - then just say it.
Looking for suggestions....thought about just letting it run all the gas out and put in new 93 octane....the next dealer can't look at the bike until the middle of July....whew!!!! I really like this bike and I can do some things, but I am not a mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:02 AM

Instead of starting a second thread, you should have just added to the other one.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:07 PM

Try draining the gas from your tank. You can siphon it out quite easily with a hose and should be able to get most of it. Dump in a good amount of sea foam and fill with premium fuel. Take it for a good run and see if that clears it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbrnr View Post
Dump in a good amount of sea foam and fill with premium fuel.
"Dump in a good amount......" of anything is NOT good advice.
Too much stabilizer can cause it's own problems.

'17 RT Limited
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:34 AM

Aussie29, R you in the Land down under and perhaps in the hunter region?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:47 AM

You might consider replacing the spark plug leads if they are still original. My wife's 2009 started running very badly, basically unrideable, in 2015. The symptoms were bogging down if you opened the throttle too much once it warmed up a bit. Anything more than just a cracked throttle would cause it to bog down. I replaced both the leads and the spark plugs with "BAJARON's Can-Am Spyder Custom Ignition Wire Set w/NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs (Ebay $89)" and it ran perfectly afterward. I think they are something you will probably have to replace anyway from an age perspective, and if you are giving the bike to a mechanic you might as well get them done, save yourself a second trip.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode