Need advice looking to purchase 2012 Spyder Ltd - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Need advice looking to purchase 2012 Spyder Ltd

Hey everyone looking to get some advice from the Spyder experts. I am considering purchasing a used mint condition 2012 Can Am Spyder with 25000 kms (roughly 15000 miles). I am not new to the Can Am world, I own a 13 Can Am Commander Limited however have no previous experience with the Spyder, I have never even driven one.

I have rode motorcycles for years and currently own a Suzuki Boulevard M109r which I'm looking at selling. I understand the Spyder is very different and the reason for the switch is to have something my wife would be more comfortable riding on and be willing to drive.

The research I've done on this vintage of Spyder appears to indicate they are good machines. I know it runs the older 998 powerplant vs the newer 1330 rotax. From what I've read the 998 requires valve adjustments whereas the 1330 does not and is a little easier on fuel with the lower rpm.

I guess my question for you experts is should I be concerned about this year of Spyder? I'm not worried about things like oil changes (I'm mechanically inclined and do those things myself). Though I wouldn't tackle valve adjustments myself from what I have read they don't really seem to need this as frequently as perhaps the manufacturer suggests.

I'm hoping to view this Spyder in the next week or so but from the photos and in speaking with the owner I have no reason to think it's not as minty and well taken care of that I have been led to believe. He also just had a new belt and rear tire put on.

So I guess my questions are is this a good bike? Do I need to worry about the 998 and are there any other issues with this year or model I should consider? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbrnr View Post
So I guess my questions are is this a good bike? Do I need to worry about the 998 and are there any other issues with this year or model I should consider? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
The 998 tends to use a little oil; most all of them.
That's not really a problem.

Anything a few years newer with the 1330 would be a very good idea.

I didn't think I would like the semi-automatic transmission but I was wrong. I LOVE it.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Easy Rider yeah I would have to agree the 1330 sounds better and I have been weighing the pros and cons. Biggest con would be the price difference on one a few years newer. When I compare that to the few things like a bit of oil consumption and a little more fuel burn for the 998 I’m not sure that would concern me as much as known major mechanical issues. I’ve read if considering the 998 the 2012 was the year to go with, good overall reliability with the higher 106hp which was subsequently dropped to 100hp for the 2013 model up until they switched to the 1330. I will say the 1330 does sound like a great set up though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks Easy Rider yeah I would have to agree the 1330 sounds better and I have been weighing the pros and cons. Biggest con would be the price difference on one a few years newer. When I compare that to the few things like a bit of oil consumption and a little more fuel burn for the 998 Iím not sure that would concern me as much as known major mechanical issues. Iíve read if considering the 998 the 2012 was the year to go with, good overall reliability with the higher 106hp which was subsequently dropped to 100hp for the 2013 model up until they switched to the 1330. I will say the 1330 does sound like a great set up though.
Decisions, decisions. I chose the 2009 GS Se5. Clocking up over 1000km/month so far and loving it. Aged 77 and wont lie down for those who tell me age is a problem. Heart, eyes, reflexes and brain all working well but body not as strong it used to be. Hence a Spyder purchase. Should have done it earlier. Sooo much fun.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:17 PM

I had a 2012 RTS and put about 30k miles on it. Yes used some oil but ran strong. Actually a little faster/quicker than my 2016 RTS with the 1330. Was reliable but I do recommend putting in the right side block off panel and removing the belly pan to direct hot air under the bike instead of on your foot. Wish I did it much earlier made a world of difference. Sounds like you should have a good bike!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Hey everyone looking to get some advice from the Spyder experts. I am considering purchasing a used mint condition 2012 Can Am Spyder with 25000 kms (roughly 15000 miles). I am not new to the Can Am world, I own a 13 Can Am Commander Limited however have no previous experience with the Spyder, I have never even driven one.

I have rode motorcycles for years and currently own a Suzuki Boulevard M109r which I'm looking at selling. I understand the Spyder is very different and the reason for the switch is to have something my wife would be more comfortable riding on and be willing to drive.

The research I've done on this vintage of Spyder appears to indicate they are good machines. I know it runs the older 998 powerplant vs the newer 1330 rotax. From what I've read the 998 requires valve adjustments whereas the 1330 does not and is a little easier on fuel with the lower rpm.

I guess my question for you experts is should I be concerned about this year of Spyder? I'm not worried about things like oil changes (I'm mechanically inclined and do those things myself). Though I wouldn't tackle valve adjustments myself from what I have read they don't really seem to need this as frequently as perhaps the manufacturer suggests.

I'm hoping to view this Spyder in the next week or so but from the photos and in speaking with the owner I have no reason to think it's not as minty and well taken care of that I have been led to believe. He also just had a new belt and rear tire put on.

In
Thanks
Last year I bought a 2012 Spyder RTL from a private seller. It had less than 4000 miles and looked like new. However, after about 200 miles this check engine light came on and threw a 0714 code. A had it in the CanAm shop 3 times for the same problem during which they replaced the battery, purge valve, vacuum lines and more. When I went to pick it up, it would not e en start. I wound up trading it in that day on a 2018 RTL. I liked the 2012 but lost confidence in its reliability. After putting over 4000 miles on the 2018, I will say that it is a little smoother and a little more powerful but the 998 engine is no slouch.
I hope you have better luck than I did.

Dennis
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

I had a 2012 RT Limited traded it for 2014 with the larger engine & gas tank very glad I did, my opinion there's a big difference. For info had a friend that tried to change the oil in his 2012 said it was difficult, believe the 2014 was changed to make it easier. If your wife is going to ride the Spyder might think of an adjustable handlebar, my wife has one on her Spyder. for her it's more comfortable and easier to turn than the wider stock handlebar.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great info looks like I'm pulling the trigger and should be taking possession sometime around the end of the month. Very excited.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

You may also want to check out the spyderlovers.com forum. It's a more active forum with some very knowledgeable members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in