Need Advice on Panel Removal - Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Need Advice on Panel Removal

Last winter my lawn tractor and zero turn lawn mowers were stored in an overhang area off my out building. We found that both of them had grass, insulation and plastic set in the mowers like rodents had made a nest there. I had used the mowers and when I took it in for serve the repair guy said I was lucky the engine didn't catch on fire as the engine wasn't getting air and it could have overheated and caught on fire.

So, my Spyder is also under an overhand with a bike cover over it. I started it every 2 weeks to keep the battery charged over the winter and all was well. I took it out for a ride 2 weeks ago in the 90+ weather and the check engine light came on. I assumed that maybe there was a rats nest inside the engine cover. So I have never taken off any panels off the 2012 Spyder.....how do I take the panels off that would allow me to see if there is any rodents nest on the engine. Or is there a way to check and see if there is something else wrong that is causing the check engine light to come on.

Can you all help this newbie out????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

First......get some tamper resistant rat bait stations.

Second.....if you don't run them long enough, starting equipment periodically is worse than not doing anything.
A battery tender is much better. Nothing else requires attention for storage of a few months.
Fuel stabilizer is a good idea though.

Do you have an owners manual ? I think it shows how to remove enough panels to service the engine.

As for tracking down the fault, you need to visit a dealer to get a code reader attached to see what the computer thinks is wrong.

'17 RT Limited
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:53 AM

Garage
push pins and t40 and some spots you just pull the panels off, you will also have to take the mirrors off to pull side panels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

On my RT, you don't actually have to take the mirrors off to remove the lower side panels.

'17 RT Limited
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 10:13 AM

There are some great videos on youtube of how to disassemble your spyder.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 01:26 AM

Great post ...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 03:02 AM

Thanks for sharing the information..
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 04:06 PM

We also had same problem, took it out after winter storage with actually start up during storage time. Started fine, he began up the road to our home about 300ft then accelerated stuck, thank goodness for kill switch! Tech came to our home ( side income 🙂 ) took it apart and intake was full of mouse nest!! Cleaned and blew out air filter (since stores were closed) and she ran like a charm. But now very leery of accelerating after storage time each year wish there was a way to block all entrances for them to enter. My 2 wheel just was simple with steel wool placed in key areas. Now forward to this year they both won't start, definitely need new batteries but that's to be expected. Was blessed to still have OEM battery work for 10 yrs even more surprising with central NY winters and no tender!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soysan3469 View Post
Was blessed to still have OEM battery work for 10 yrs even more surprising with central NY winters and no tender!
10 years is a bit surprising.

BUT cold weather during storage actually PREVENTS premature aging in batteries.
Being stored in an unheated environment probably helped with your long battery life.

'17 RT Limited
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 10:48 AM

Spyder RT Body Panel Removal

Here's one of the best short videos I've found on safely removing a number of the main body panels you will need to service your Spyder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Can-Am Spyder Forums: The Y-factor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode